Gentoo Forums: One month in reflection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Gentoo Forums: One month in reflection Reply with quote

I started the Gentoo forums on April 8th, 2002. At that time we were "The Unofficial Gentoo Forums," since then I've spread the word on IRC, the mailing lists, and through the main Gentoo website. About a week after, we became "The Official Gentoo Forums" and I got forums.gentoo.org pointed at my server.

So, here we sit, one month later with 1,100+ users, 8,500+ posts, and 1,800+ topics. Wow. I never expected the site would grow this big, well not as fast as it did. On average we get 40 new users a day, 283 new posts a day, and people start 62 new topics each day. I check these averages, and the posts are climbing, and the new users per day are slowly falling.

I just added a new "Tips & Tricks" forum, so you might want to go and take a peek at that. I really should be writing the intro/guidelines for that forum, but this occured to me right in the middle of doing so.

Getting to the point, I want your opinions! What do you guys think of this forum, the users, posts, content preformance, and anything else you can think of. What can the moderators and myself do to help the rest of the Gentoo community?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

Last edited by Nitro on Mon May 13, 2002 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Forums: One month in reflection Reply with quote

Wow! I think your numbers show just how popular Gentoo has become so quickly. I started with Gentoo shortly after you started the forums. I only joined recently, however.

So, to answer your question, the forums are OUTSTANDING!!! You deserve much kudos. The implementation is clean and the BB software you are using is phenominal. It is very intuitive and simple to use and also has lots of flexibility.

Not only do the numbers demonstrate the popularity of Gentoo, but also the popularity of the forums. I believe the clean implementation is a strong factor in the forums' success.

I have a few thoughts on some "nice to have" features, but I am a bit tired. I'll drop those in later...

Keep up the good work!
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats nitro and good work. I know how difficult it can be to run forums and get them jumpstarted.. with a project like gentoo however, it makes total sense to have a thriving support community to keep both the experts and the newbies involved.

I'll stand out on a limb and claim that this is the definitive guide to find answers to Gentoo (albeit by searching)./
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: