Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help improve the the lines of communication!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Help improve the the lines of communication! Reply with quote

I know several people have expressed frustration in the past about the lack of communication regarding the Gentoo project as a whole. Well, now's your chance to help make things better.

I will be starting a weekly newsletter, cleverly entitled, "Gentoo Weekly Newsletter". The purpose of this newsletter is to keep people appraised of current events in the Gentoo community and also gather user feedback on an ongoing basis and summarize that for the developers. This will include (but is not limited to):
  • Summaries of major issues discussed on gentoo-core.
  • Summaries of major discussions/threads on the forums/mailing lists/etc.
  • Important announcements for the week
  • Other Stuff as the newsletter evolves.

You can see a sample newsletter here. It is merely intended as a proof-of-concept -- the actual newsletter may be drastically different based on feedback from the developers and the community.

How you can help
I need people who are willing to help write specific sections of the newsletter. This includes people who are willing to (religiously) monitor the various mailing lists and forums and summarize the hot topics for that week. Ideally, I'd like to get 2-3 people to monitor busy communication channels, like the forums and gentoo-user and 1-2 people to monitor the "quieter" channels like gentoo-dev, gentoo-server, etc.

I also need people who have ideas about other sections that they'd like to see in the newsletter (and are willing to take ownership of same). You'll notice in the sample newsletter there is a section for Tips & Tricks. Someone needs to own this and commit to publishing it on a weekly basis. That's one example; I'm sure you all can think of many others.

There is very little technical experience required for these positions, so if you're not a programmer, this is an ideal opportunity for you to still give back to the community. From a technical standpoint, if you can write rudimentary HTML, you can do this. From a news standpoint, it certainly helps if you can write succinctly and clearly. English will be the primary language for this newsletter. People interested in translating to other languages should feel free to volunteer as well.

So, if you are interested in helping out with this project and are willing to dedicate 1-3 hours per week to it on an ongoing basis, please contact me via PM or email at klieber at gentoo dot org.

--kurt
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

This is a step towards something I would like to see for Gentoo... The Genzine. (I did start a rather luke warmly received thread about it some time back!)

:)

I look forward to the first edition. Things I would also like to see:

Package reviews
Package updates in portage
Documentation updates

"For the community, by the community."

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY VERY COOL !!!!!

I'll contribute, surely!! I'll PM you soon...

I think it would be nice to have sections regarding different uses of gentoo: web-server, programming, graphic/web design, sound&music, etc; so we can have package reviews, tips, etc, specifically for that matters, along side with the "general" section.
bleakcabal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altough I won't contribute I am very interested at reading this newsletter and think it is a very good idea. I think you should do the package reviews section that was mentioned by charlieg.
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
This is a step towards something I would like to see for Gentoo... The Genzine.

What about "The Gentews" ? :-)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered to do summaries of the gentoo-dev IRC chan, provide I get voice and someone sets up a logbot. I got NO replies what so ever that were helpful.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up message based on some responses I've received. Many folks seem concerned that they don't have enough technical skill to contribute to this project. In fact, many/most aspects of this project require very little technical skill -- you don't have to be an expert on Gentoo, you just have to be able to summarize the various discussions that go on on mailing lists, forums, etc.

So, if you're sitting on the fence wondering whether or not you have enough technical acumen to contribute, sit no longer. :)

Also, for those who have already contacted me, I did get your emails and PMs -- I'm going to wait another day or so to let some more responses come in and then I'll contact you all with next steps.

--kurt
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting stuff that will complement other communication channels. I have been searching (obviously not enough) for something like that and started my own topic :oops: (with poll) on the subject...

Another application of the weekly newsletter is that it is a good entry point to regularly submit into webzines like linux-today who already have gnome digests or security advisories. Would do a lot to prove others that Gentoo is not just a hype unstable distro...

I probably will participate when I will have more time (and a little more Gentoo/Forum experience, not technical experience). If the news team is not already full by that time !

- K
chavez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the first newsletter. Excellent! This is just another example of what makes the Gentoo community so great to be part of. Kudos to the GWN team!

Luciano Chavez
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: