Login to active console with SSH
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Login to active console with SSH Reply with quote

Hi! I have set up sshd and it works great! One problem only: I would like to login to a current console (already activated at home). For example: when I wake up I start "emerge XXX" and go to school. Later at school I login to my computer with a SSH client and would like to see how the emerge is going. Of course, I could use top and just look for any "cc1s" or "makes", but I would like to be more precise and _see_ the active console (vc1 or whatever it is).
So, I am wondering if there are any ways to login to a active console via SSH. Any suggestions?? Thx!
Kindest regards, Jacob W
Registred Linux user #191143!
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00 (BIOS v. 2.7)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
SATA Seagate ST3200822AS & Silicon Image 3112 chipset
Gentoo Linux :)
TM001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 100% "screen"
try looking for this tool

* app-misc/screen
Latest version available: 3.9.11-r3
Latest version installed: 3.9.11-r3
Size of downloaded files: 705 kB
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
Description: Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes

It does exactly what you describe, you could start screen and do stuff then detach it (c-a d) you could log out and travel the world, then come back type screen -r and see how its doing ;-)
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Screen seems to be great and very useful. But, as dumb as I am, I forgot to add a little note: we only have Windows at school :/ .... Any more sugestions???
Registred Linux user #191143!
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00 (BIOS v. 2.7)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
SATA Seagate ST3200822AS & Silicon Image 3112 chipset
Gentoo Linux :)
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...the OS doesnt have anything to do with ssh...just screen the emerge, ssh in from wherever and 'screen -r' (-dr if you forgot to detach)
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen is a highly useful software. I'm still promoting this to people at work (the look on their face is priceless).

I currently run too many terminals within screen but at least I can connect anywhere in the building and at home :)

-/Craigo/-
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: ssh, screen, etc Reply with quote

If you want to be low tech you can just kick the output to a file while things are happening in the background.

nohup emerge –u system &

all output goes to a file called nohup.out

kashani
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Login to active console with SSH Reply with quote

It's a perfict task for Xemacs and gnu-client. You run xemacs on one login, then M-x gnuserv-start and then do whatever - all buffers will be available to any gnuclient connected to gnuserv.

For ebuilding I use eshell. Later I connect from work and see what's going on or interract - same I were sitting on original login.

By the way, you can ssh to that remote box and then gnuclient locally, or you can connect using gnuclient remotely.

Comparing to other methods you have all power of all buffers and all modes of xemacs: multiple dired buffers for directory working, various programming modes, vm or gnus for email or nntp etc etc etc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: