36%  [ 19 ]
Other?
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 52

ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Food preference Reply with quote

I'm just wondering what all the people around here like to eat. Don't ask me why, I'm just curious. I personally don't ead red meat, but enjoy white meat and some fish. Some geeks I know are vegitarians (sp?) and some eat whatever they feel like. I live off of cereal (frosted mini wheats, golden grahams, apple cinnamon cheerios...) and chicken/turkey. You guys?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the infreqent event that I get up in time to eat breakfast, I like waffles. WAFFLES! WAFFLES! Not the frozen crap kind - real waffles in a waffle iron. Pancakes are good too. French toast is nice if I'm at a resturant. Occasionally I'll have popovers, espescially on the weekend (most people don't know what these are - they're _sorta_ like yorkshire pudding, but made in a muffin tin, and they're puffed up and hollow, similar batter to a German Pancake). Lots of butter and raspberry jam on those. If I'm at the Original Pancake House, I get raspberry crepes or a Big German (AKA German Pancake).

Edit: And breakfast would not be complete without dead animals on my plate! Dead pig espescially (sausage and bacon, yum!)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast is usually leftovers for me. This morning that meant fried oysters, broccoli, seaweed and white rice. The most common "traditionally breakfasty" thing I eat is granola (recently ginger granola has been my fave) mixed into yoghurt.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional Brazilian breakfast is composed by some kind of bread (usually french-like, although Frenchmen won't agree), margarine, maybe some fruit spread, and coffee (with or without milk, mine with condensed milk).

I also love pancakes or waffers (I really miss the Belgium wafflessssss!), but they take sometime to prepare... and I am not very smart before breakfast, thus it could be dangerous if I started to cook before my coffee 8)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this Breakfast guy you are talking about and why does everyone want to eat him? <shudder>

I never eat breakfast... Why? Because what is called bread here in the US is not edible! It's yucky! I miss the bread from home :(

Bread in the US for those who don't know is soft, muchy, tastes nothing. I miss bread with lots of grain and a hard crust, one that doesn't tear into pieces when cut.

I also miss a lot of the stuff we normally put on the bread, things that you have no idea what is :) Brown-cheese (a sort of sweet cheese, brown in color, made originally from goat-milk, but nowadays the mass-produced variant is made from cow-milk)

In addition to that I miss some other type of spreads we use ... Oh well... I guess that's the price for living in a warm climate when the temprature drops below zero at home :)
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't Breakfast be a girl? 8)

BTW, I don't like their usual bread here in the USA, but if you are rich enough you can get good stuff (which is not my case).

About the warm climate, I am having -3 Celsius now, which is way better than the 30 C they are getting at my Brazilian home (I really hate that hot and humid summer!)

ebrostig wrote:
Who is this Breakfast guy you are talking about and why does everyone want to eat him? <shudder>

I never eat breakfast... Why? Because what is called bread here in the US is not edible! It's yucky! I miss the bread from home :(

Bread in the US for those who don't know is soft, muchy, tastes nothing. I miss bread with lots of grain and a hard crust, one that doesn't tear into pieces when cut.

I also miss a lot of the stuff we normally put on the bread, things that you have no idea what is :) Brown-cheese (a sort of sweet cheese, brown in color, made originally from goat-milk, but nowadays the mass-produced variant is made from cow-milk)

In addition to that I miss some other type of spreads we use ... Oh well... I guess that's the price for living in a warm climate when the temprature drops below zero at home :)
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite food, is a meal for little babies that it's sold here in Portugal, it's called Milupa, and my favourite flavour is Banana :roll:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Why can't Breakfast be a girl? 8)

Hey.... I didn't say it couldn't :) And sometimes it is! :twisted:

Bloody Bastard wrote:
BTW, I don't like their usual bread here in the USA, but if you are rich enough you can get good stuff (which is not my case).

Oh, I can afford the bread, my company pays me an insane amount of money to work for them :) It's just that I can't find any good bread here in Orlando.

Bloody Bastard wrote:
About the warm climate, I am having -3 Celsius now, which is way better than the 30 C they are getting at my Brazilian home (I really hate that hot and humid summer!)

Mmmm... It's like 20C here today, getting colder by the minute, but I don't mind.
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what kind of bread is really good and where do you find it? I find some local bakeries' bread around here to be quite good (potato, sourdough) in Washington, but maybe I just haven't experienced "good"
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed one of the important, quintessential breakfast items, eggs. I don't like them as much as I used to, but i still find them pleasant, scrambled, fried, or as onsen tamago. Oh, not to mention omelets.

Speaking of omelets, has anyone eaten at La Mere Poulard on Mont St. Michel in France? I'd almost consider living in a monastery if I could have their omelets for breakfast...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe.. what's wrong with bread man... are you disrepecting bread??
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like bread with choco. Don't know if you call it that too in English :-) It's a spread made of mainly hazelnuts, milk and cacao. And it's delicious. Or I put other stuff on it. Ham, cheese, ... Or I just eat cereals, it depends on my mood. And we have the good stuff over here when it comes to bread ;-) Belgium rocks!
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I were a real Aussie, I guess I'd say "VB"
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacon mmmmmmmmm. I'm British, it's in our genes.

That said, grilled halloumi on a nice mediteranian white bread (toasted) with proper tomatoes (the ones that haven't had all taste and smell selectively bred out of them in favour of shelf life!), fresh basil and olive oil makes a seriously nice breakfast.

Or bacon and goats cheese with a bit of decent lettuce....

Matje

It's called Nutella in the UK. Whenever I want to cheer my partner up, I buy a jar and she generally ends up being a very happy person (until the morning when she beats me up for "making" her eat the whole jar :-))

I'll stop now. Afternoon snack is calling :wink:
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever comes around! I mean I don't have any preferences at all: today it's cereals, tomorrow its ham & eggs and then it's maybe some rice with vegetables and fish (ok, I had that last time I was in Japan and never ever after, but I liked it a lot!). The only essential "food" in the morning is coffee, preferrably "un cafe doppio" as the italians say (I hope I spelled it right) 8)
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sisyphus wrote:
It's called Nutella in the UK. Whenever I want to cheer my partner up, I buy a jar and she generally ends up being a very happy person (until the morning when she beats me up for "making" her eat the whole jar :-))

Nutella is just a brand, we have that here too...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutella rules. However, I no longer buy it because it quickly becomes the only thing I eat. As for my breakfast habits, I typically don't eat breakfast. I'm normally late for class and I never consider myself fully awake until about noon. On the ultra-rare occasion that I do eat breakfast, I'm a big fan of honey pancakes. Basically they are the same thing as regular pancakes, but you add about two tablespoons of honey into the batter before you make them. :)
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only constant for me in the AM is coffee. 8O

Sometimes there's a donut, bagel, or toast. On weekends, sometimes it's a trip to a breakfast place for pancakes or waffles.

There's some kickass breakfast places in Portland. (Cameo, Cricket Cafe, and the Caddilac Cafe are all very good)

Bacon is still required for now, though at the beginning of the year I'm going veggie. :)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing something kind of interesting lately -- I'll take a slice of sourdough/potato/french (a nice, slicing bread, none of that bagged $1/loaf crap), top it with grated mozzarella, romano, and a bit of cheddar, and put in the toaster oven until the cheese is just past bubbly. Two pieces are good enough for me (about the same as 2 eggs, bacon, and toast for some reason).
mxskweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it's a bloodsugar thing, but a high protein/low carb breakfast is the only way to go for me. i'm not saying i'm hypo-glycemic (sp?) or whatever, just that a low carb breakfast seems to give me a good level start for the day whereas a carb spike burns me out and leaves me tired a few hours later. too bad because i love cereal. one of my favorite cereals is Special K, which apparently most people find vile, and for which most people bust my balls because they say it is for women and i'm a man. my most common breakfast is a compromise because i hate to eat when i first get up, so i have to find something i can take to work and eat at my desk - kinda rules out steak and eggs. my current solution is an 18 pack of beef (questionable) chimichangas of decent quality from the local wharehouse type store. at least they offer a little meat and cheese to go with the tortilla. oh wait, i stash the 18 pack in my freezer and eat one a day not the whole pack, just to clarify my last sentence.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: