New install on Pismo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowhcreek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: New install on Pismo Reply with quote

Hi,

I am preparing to do a new install of 1.4_rc1 on a pismo. As this will be my first linux install I have been doing quite a bit of homework to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible, but I have a few things I would like to check before starting, so sorry in advance if some of these things seem a bit obvious.

I intend to boot from the 1.2-r1 disc and download the stage 1 1.4_rc1 tarball as recommended in this forum. I currently have the hard drive partitioned into three partitions, the first for gentoo, the second a HFS share partition and the third with OS 9.

Now for the questions. :)

The pismo has had the hard drive upgraded from 6 to 30 GB. Is this likely to cause problems during the install?

If I stop the installation at any point prior to loading YABOOT, I should be able to boot back into OS 9 as normal. Is this correct?

In the Kernel config for a pismo the only ethernet device I need to set is GMAC and under frame buffer support the ATY128 (in addition to DUMMY_CONSOLE)? I have looked at sample modules.conf files but these are mostly for ibooks.

Answers to these questions and any pointers specific to the Pismo would be appreciated, thanks.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: New install on Pismo Reply with quote

Fourier wrote:
The pismo has had the hard drive upgraded from 6 to 30 GB. Is this likely to cause problems during the install?

I have Pismo with HDD upgraded to 18GB - no problem with Gentoo 1.4-rc1 on that disk.

Fourier wrote:
If I stop the installation at any point prior to loading YABOOT, I should be able to boot back into OS 9 as normal. Is this correct?

Correct, if you don't format your macos9 partition. Moreover, even if you screw up YABOOT configuration you still can boot back to macos9 by booting openfirmware at first (by pressing option-apple-O-F if I recall it right). Then change boot-device to your macos9 partition and boot macos9. Later you can boot from CDROM again, chroot to the root and fix the problem with yaboot if you have it.

Fourier wrote:
In the Kernel config for a pismo the only ethernet device I need to set is GMAC and under frame buffer support the ATY128 (in addition to DUMMY_CONSOLE)? I have looked at sample modules.conf files but these are mostly for ibooks.

If my Pismo is not very different than yours, then you need SunGem, not GMAC. But you can tell it yourself by booting from gentoo CD and reading boot messages from the kernel (or dmesg them after login).

Assuming that you have ATI Rage 128, for X11 you need ATIr128 in console -> frame buffer drivers, and AGP/UniNorth + DRM/ATIr128 in character drivers.

Fourier wrote:
Answers to these questions and any pointers specific to the Pismo would be appreciated, thanks.

I had some problems perhaps more general than just about Pismo. First I've installed the system following the documentation from the gentoo site, which advised to set USE and CFLAGS at some point of bootstrapping. Don't. It's a bad and risky idea. Keep your make.conf as it is untill your all installation is completed. Bootstrap will take the most conservative settings from make.defaults. Otherwise, you, like me, may have problems (mostly from segfaults) with the following packages: cups, xfree86, postgresql, mozilla. Also, don't change arch KEYWORDS in make.conf - it's better to change it in individual ebuild files, when you want to try something risky.
nowhcreek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: New install on Pismo Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
Keep your make.conf as it is untill your all installation is completed. Bootstrap will take the most conservative settings from make.defaults.

This sounds the same as using a generic PPC stage 3 tarball. Probably a good idea for the first install.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: