USB keyboard not present after first boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: USB keyboard not present after first boot Reply with quote

It's a (gulp) Microsoft keyboard with both a USB and PS2 interface (two connectors). It worked fine for the install and even at the GRUB menu when I booted for the first time, but when the kernel booted the numlock LED went out and the keyboard was gone. I compiled UHCI support, support for USB keyboards (and mice), and the full USB HID support in the input core section of menuconfig. This is my first time compiling a kernel for USB, so I was very careful to read all of the help screens that went along with the options.

I am using the 1.1a release with kernel 2.4.18-xfs on an Epox 8K7A+ (RAID disabled in BIOS since I don't use it yet) with an AMD 761/VIA 686B chipset combo. I have ACPI and APM disabled in both the BIOS and in the kernel. The keyboard worked in Windows, Slack, and Mandrake beforehand. Any thoughts?
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: USB keyboard not present after first boot Reply with quote

butters wrote:
It worked fine for the install and even at the GRUB menu when I booted for the first time, but when the kernel booted the numlock LED went out and the keyboard was gone. I compiled UHCI support, support for USB keyboards (and mice), and the full USB HID support in the input core section of menuconfig. This is my first time compiling a kernel for USB, so I was very careful to read all of the help screens that went along with the options.

this happens to me once in a while, just dis- and reconnect the keyboard, the kernel supports hot-plugging. be sure that you added
Code:
input
mousedev
keybdev
hid
uhci #may be usb-uhci, depends, check /lib/modules

to /etc/modules.autoload

and as a note: it was mentioned here that you have to compile usb-support as modules, not into the kernel, to get it to work.
search this forum, there's detailed help floating around

regards,
tom

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dis- and reconnection the keyboard is nasty. There must be a real fix. Other distributions do not have this problem at all.
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Dis- and reconnection the keyboard is nasty. There must be a real fix. Other distributions do not have this problem at all.

happend to me with suse also...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: