View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Rant Reply with quote

Just a rant about Windows vs. Linux. Something came up yesterday that made me realize another reason why Linux is so superior to Windows.

I wanted to switch hardware between a Windows and Gentoo machine. Basically just needed to swap hard drives between the two systems. Gentoo? No problem, just booted the LiveCD on the new system to see what hardware the kernel was seeing. The sound chipset was about the only thing I needed to recompile into the kernel, so I did that. Stuck the drive in, booted it up, works great.

Now how about the Windows drive in the new machine? Well, first I got a blue-screen complaining about non-standard ACPI. Apparently Windows doesn't like the SuperMicro motherboard. Monkeyed with the BIOS and got that resolved after quite a while. Then got a different blue screen complaining that the primary hard drive wasn't bootable. Long story short, Windows had drivers installed for the other system's IDE controller and wouldn't accept anything else. Booted drive up in the old system to try and change IDE controller to a generic one, but that surprisingly didn't work when I stuck in the new system. Wound up making the drive un-bootable on both systems. Now time to re-install Windows.

Linux kicks ass.

Carl
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not prove a superiority over Windows by Linux, only that in your experience moving hardware is simpler in Linux. There are many other features with which to base Superiority. Personally, an OS is an OS. I use both so that I can make the most of free software. Free software does not meet all my needs, so I dual-boot. Neither is superior, they both serve a purpose. One could make the argument that Windows is superior to Linux on the desktop, because most desktop systems have Windows on them. Others would make an argument that more does not equal better.

Superiority is a difficult thing to measure, especially without pre-defined terms.

My take: use what you like, share the information, and let others make a choice just like you did.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds more like a pebkac error than anything else. but hey... who am i to judge ;)
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember once, I was trying to install Windows on a laptop harddrive by using a converter and popping it into my desktop system, I formatted it, then booted the Windows CD, and started installing on Drive D -- the Laptop Drive but after unplugging the drive and putting it back, neither the laptop or my desktop would boot. even after being told to install on D: Windows install a bunch of boot-crap on C and fscked up my HD!
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
I remember once, I was trying to install Windows on a laptop harddrive by using a converter and popping it into my desktop system, I formatted it, then booted the Windows CD, and started installing on Drive D -- the Laptop Drive but after unplugging the drive and putting it back, neither the laptop or my desktop would boot. even after being told to install on D: Windows install a bunch of boot-crap on C and fscked up my HD!

and that's why you unplug your hdd whe dealing w/ poorly written software.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I learned my lesson...
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another windows rant:

sometime ago, a year or so, a friend talked me into installing windowsxp for him, he told me i was much better at those things and he didnt know howto do it himself, he tried once but failed, and ended up with no os for awhile, so i had to install it for him. so i did : /. agianst my will.
as i usually do i checked the biossettings first, checked the status of the memory with memtest86 tested the hd for any badblocks, checked its current status, fs and such things, then i zero out the partition table, so that any existing part whould die, and not screw me later, so i did, and then fdisked like normal and poped the pirated xp disk in. a couple of dumb questions and it was all set to reboot to continue, rebooted a couple of times and set up the networking and the drivers for his soundcard, which took 30 minutes or so getting the name of the soundcard, all i got was pci card something, after that some more 30 minutes to track down the drivers, then a reboot and all worked just fine. installed some games firewall and regcleaner as i recall, another game install and reboot. puff! out came a bluescreen, division y zero :D
man i was so glad :D
after that he wanted to install a game, so he did i left, and it was a opengl game, i forgot to install the drviers fot his card, so he went nuts when the game whouldnt work :D

my point is. windoze is not that userfriendly as it is told to be.
its just that ppl learn in school that there should be an icon called "Internet Explorer" on the desktop to surf the internet.
here in sweden in high school or gymnasium as its called we have a curse thats called "Compjuter Usement" where you learn to use the latest MS products....
(i dont know why im writing so much, im just bored. . : )

Get lost before you get shot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: