recover files from harddrive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timewalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: recover files from harddrive Reply with quote

I tried to resize a partition with partition magic to give my linuxpartition more space from my fat32 partition...
ofcourse it didn't work and everythong got ****ed... well now to the correcting the problem part... :)
really need to get the data back...
i tried a program called: Lost and Found .. from PowerQuest... (the ones that makes Partition Magic)
ofcourse this was a great program but they seem to stopped developed it .. however the version i got 1.06 seems to be the latest (haven't found any info regarding if it is or not) .. and that version could only recover harddrives up to 12 gig... so i could recover 12 gig of 80GB.. still most of my important files are outside those first 12 gig .. =(
then i found the Partition-Rescue HOWTO on LDP... http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/Partition-Rescue/

Quote:
If your hard drive has errors, you may have real trouble mounting, checking or using data (the drive read errors get in the way). Gpart may not even find it. But if you know the start of the partition, you can easily copy the data to a temporary file stored on a different drive. Sectors with read errors will usually be set to zero by this process:

Copy the partition data to a file. You must know the start block of the partition;

dd if=/dev/hd?? of=/tmp/recover_hd?? bs=512 skip=XXXX count=YYY

XXX is the sector start and YYY the sector count (can be guessed).

Mount the file as a loop file system.

mount -r -t ext2 -o loop /tmp/recover_hd?? /mnt/recover

to me it seems that this could really solve the problem.. because the data is untouched on the harddrive... so if i could only read all sectors and make a big file and mount it, it could in theory work ... :)
the problem is that i really don't get how dd works.. i've read the manual for it but still haven't got a clue how i could get it to read from 5,2 gigs to the end of the disk (and not the first 5,2 gigs because they are on a NTFS partition that is not damaged)

XXX is the sector start and YYY the sector count (can be guessed).

XXX guess i have to calculate where this is...

but the YYY ... what's that? sector count? should it be 1 or? what?
i really hope that someone out there know the answers :)

and please i don't want any "you should have backups of your stuff" ... yeah i know that ... :)
but that doesn't help solving anything ... everyone learns from their misstakes.. and i've learned from mine =)

thanx in advance...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: recover files from harddrive Reply with quote

timewalker wrote:
but the YYY ... what's that? sector count? should it be 1 or?

Sector count is the number of sectors on the HD used by that partition. Unfortunately, the "correct" number depends on your partition scheme. Unless you saved some pretty detailed information about your partition setup, you may be fscked.

Have you tried viewing the partition table in fdisk to see if at least that has remained intact?

--kurt
timewalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Partition table... Reply with quote

yeah...
or atleast is used gpart to get it to regenerate a new partition table..
but it seems correct to me.. the sizes and so on... here it is:

Code:
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1       637   5116671    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdb2           638      9729  73031458+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

so the YYY should it be 73031458 or?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: