dhcpcd partly doesn't work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: dhcpcd partly doesn't work Reply with quote

hello,
i have a small @home network with a dhcp server. on my desktop pc i run gentoo, debian and windows xp. my problem is, that dhcp does't really work with gentoo. there is no problem with debian or windwos xp. i always get an ip from the server but when i boot gentoo, i dont always get an ip. i get an ip in gentoo after a reboot (from gentoo) or after i had started debian or windows. when i switch off my computer for a certain time (i think it's ~1800s but i'm not sure) and reboot gentoo after that, i don't get a response from my server which means it has maybe somethings to do with the leasetime. it looks like gentoo (or dhcpcd) isn't sending a request to the server because i don't see it in the server's logfile. if my gentoo is up and i run
Code:
echo "/etc/init.d/net-eth0";
i immeadiatly get a response from the server. the problem is solved, when i remove /etc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.cache befor shutting down (thats not what i want). i tried the
Code:
echo "dhcpcd -k";
option and i tried also to replace the shutdown sequence with
Code:
echo "kill `pidof dhcpcd`";
nothing works. i'm not a dhcp export (i haven't had any problems so far) so i don't have any idea where to look.
my dhcpcd version is:
Code:
echo "DHCP Client Daemon v.1.3.22-pl3";
. (befor that i had installed the older version which had the same behaviour)
i appreciate any tips or hints. thanks in advance
michael
ps. i searched this forum (for a long time) but couldn't find any answer to this question. it there is an answer please let me know.
HogRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like dhcpcd is loading before your network card is fully functional. Try delaying the start of dhcpcd, or increasing the timeout ('-t 120')

"Computers are like air conditioners, they stop working properly if you open Windows"
perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try delaying the start of dhcpcd, or increasing the timeout ('-t 120')

that didnt help. i compiled my network card directly into the kernel (nec chip -> tulip driver) and it works. whenever dhcpcd starts after a reboot or manually, it works, it just doens't work after i had switched off my computer for ~1/2 h. could it be some server settings?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: