View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Native 64-bit on G5: a status report Reply with quote

Turing (http://turing.ubishops.ca/) is a dual G5 (the 2GHz variety), and it runs a 64-bit Gentoo installation (used to be Yellow Dog Linux, really on-line in its Gentoo incarnation since yesterday). To be more precise this is a development machine plus a HTTP/mail/IMAP server on the side, and as far as I can tell everything in this respect runs mostly smoothly (exceptions shall be summarized shortly).

What does not run (at all) is X, the server (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1) segfaults upon loading the bitmap module or something (I am not at the console right now so I cannot run it, but in any case it dies very early in the startup process) so not even Xeasyconf has any chance to complete whatsoever. This is by no means a huge problem but I will eventually like to make use of the nice Apple Studio display (and get rid of the second machine in my office which I use as a remote GUI), so advice is appreciated.

In any case, here is a summary of the installation process. The installed stuff (and all the dependencies) works as far as I can tell, except as noted in the list below.

At this time my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS has the value "~ppc64 ppc" but I set the variable individually for packages during the initial install to see what is keyworded how. If no entry appears in the "additional keywords" in the table below, it means that the respective package (and its dependencies, except those installed before) are keyworded as ~ppc64.

The uname/arch trick refers to the replacement of uname and arch by the following, respectively:

Code:
/bin/uname $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/
/bin/arch $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/

In one instance, CHOST had to be changed as well. The formulation "USE +=" stands for adding whatever follows to the USE flags.

Anyhow, FYI here is the table of what has been installed and how. Advice on the enumerated problems is really appreciated, expecially the problems with X and uname -a segfaulting.

Code:
--------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
emerged        additional notes
               keywords
sync
bootstrap-2.6             no NTPL, which posed problems afterwards
system                    problems with current coreutils,
                          '=coreutils-5.2.0-r2' works
                          except that uname -a segfaults
xorg-x11                  builds fine but segfaults upon startup
apache
sendmail        ppc
uw-imap         ppc
kernel                    Character devices: rtc, agp miss headers
(2.6.7-rc0)               Sound: Powermac devices choke
gentoolkit
vim                       Segfaults on exit
sysklogd
vixie-cron
pciutils
reiserfsprogs
zip             ppc
cvs
qt
boost
ibm-jdk-bin     ppc
tmpwatch        ppc
logwatch        ppc
root-tail       ppc
openmotif       ~ppc
lesstif         ppc
xemacs          ppc
pth             ppc       CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
gnupg-1.9.8     ~x86      problems with official app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.4
                          gnupg-1.9.8 installs
                          BUT: patches for 1.2.4 also available (bug 54814)
mozilla                   patched (ebuild + source, bug 54843),
                          -O2 used, segfaults (epiphany however works);
                          -O1 produces ICE
epiphany        ~ppc      ppc chhokes
glut            ppc       uname/arch trick
gnome-cups-   
manager         ~ppc      ppc chokes
gnome           ppc       graphviz (needed by doxygen) chokes
                          ==> USE += -doc
xmms            ppc
xscreensaver    ppc
lshw            ppc
latex2html      ppc
bind-tools                uname/arch trick
gkrellm         ppc
gkrellm-themes  ~ppc
gkrellm-
trayicons       ppc
gkrellmlaunch   ppc
gkrellm-volume  ppc
logrotate
curl
emerge mod_php  ppc       USE += "-truetype -fdftk"
                          with truetype required a lower, unbuildable freetype!!
procmail
spamassasin     ppc
netkit-fingerd  ppc
nmap            ppc
ipx-utils       x86
ncpfs           ***       ebuild fails, manual installation works OK!!
pine            ppc
netkit-telnetd  ppc

Let me know if this report is of some use in other places, and I will submit it.
amitofu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really treading in uncharted territory! I applaud your bravery. I have a bunch of laptops running linux/ppc and it can be difficult being out of the mainstream. I also have a linux/amd64 machine and it can be difficult dealing with 64 bit issues--but 64 bit on PPC? That's just nuts!

Best of luck to you and all who follow. Thanks for paving the way.
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, thanks. As a matter of fact, Turing is pretty solid as far as its main tasks (Web/mail server and development machine) go, at least it's been so for the four-ish days since it has become Gentoo ;-) . X turns out to be a real bitch, but I'll get there eventually (this is not that important anyway). It did take a while to set it up, but it is really worth it--very nice hardware it is indeedy.
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update:
    sys-devel/binutils-2.15.91.0.1 fixed the segfaulting uname -a.

x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2 eliminated the startup segfault, X works with 24-bit depth (not very fast, mind you, due to the absence of agpart in the kernel, but good enough for a machine that is primarily a server :wink: ).

The working X also brought a working GNOME 2.6 (compiled before but not tested for obvious reasons), not perfect but most functionality is there.

That's it, at this time the only outstanding issue is rtc and agpart in the kernel, and maybe a working mozilla; everything else is really minor. Did I mention that after a considerable amount of time spent building and configuring I am beginning to really enjoy my full 64-bit system and the machine behind it? :lol:

Cheers,
Stefan
jgombos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to install X11 on a ppc64. emerge kde and emerge gnome both fail, even with ~ppc in my config.conf. :cry:

So suppose I install binutils and xorg-x11, where do I go from there? Do I have to bypass portage and grab a gnome tarball? Have you tried kde at all?
korg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a G5 going with 32 bit and Im about to build ppc64, but Ive got a couple of questions that gentoo 'oldies' might be able to help me out with.

bruda mentioned above that he needed to mod uname (which ive done too), but the trouble is that emerge'ing coretutils overwrites it, which is _REALLY_ annoying.

Is there anyway to config_protect a file? (It doesnt work for me and I dont want to protect /bin or Im assuming that will break emerge system's as the binaries wont be installed until I etc-update them).

Can I:
* config protect a _file_
* call a script _after_ each file install (ie something like emerge --perpackage /usr/local/bin/fix_uname system)
* stop an emerge system after a specific package
?

Currently the only solution I can think of is to emerge -pv system and then manually emerge coreutils before doing the system if it was in the list.

Id like to be able to write instructions and they arnt going to be very helpful if I have to keep hacking uname around :(

PS: make sure you have an -mcpu=G5 in your CFLAGS or your executables will be SLOW. md5sum on a G5 with no -mcpu is slower than my 750Mhz g3 :).
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
I'd like to install X11 on a ppc64. emerge kde and emerge gnome both fail, even with ~ppc in my config.conf.

I have a working GNOME 2.6. That's the ppc one (stable), except for a couple of applications that have to be ~ppc. Take a look at bug 57658 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57658) for details. As far as I can remember the ~ppc version of GNOME will not build.

KDE is trickier, I do have kdeutils (or something like this) installed, but I could not get a full KDE install--I did not try too hard, mind you, I am kind of a GNOME fan. Do take a look at the Gentoo Bugzilla where somebody has reported some success with KDE.

HTH,
Stefan
jgombos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug 57658 says that glut will have troubles when uname -m and arch report "ppc64". I did an emerge glut while reporting my architecture as ppc64, and it appears to have installed okay, but I'm not sure how to test that; I just know I didn't notice any errors, and emerge search glut reports that it was installed. Maybe that bug has been fixed.
jgombos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Native 64-bit on G5: a status report Reply with quote

bruda wrote:
The uname/arch trick refers to the replacement of uname and arch by the following, respectively:

Code:

How and where does that replacement occur? I tried hacking a ./configure script for a package where ./configure fails due to an unrecognized architecture, and came accross some expressions that seem strange to me:
Code:

/bin/arch = `(/bin/arch) 2>&1  || echo unknown`
/bin/uname -m = `(/bin/uname -m) 2>&1 || echo unknown`

What I don't understand is how a pathname can be on the left-hand side of the expression, as opposed to a variable. What is that kind of bash expression supposed to mean? I tried the following substitution and it did not work:

Code:

/bin/arch = `(/bin/arch) 2>&1  | sed -e 's/ppc64/ppc/g' || echo unknown`
/bin/uname -m = `(/bin/uname -m) 2>&1 | sed -e 's/ppc64/ppc/g' || echo unknown`
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
Bug 57658 says that glut will have troubles when uname -m and arch report "ppc64". I did an emerge glut while reporting my architecture as ppc64, and it appears to have installed okay. Maybe that bug has been fixed.

Yes, that glut has been fixed is quite a likely possibility, a lot of people seem to want (and thus work on) a GNOME installation on these machines.
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Native 64-bit on G5: a status report Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
bruda wrote:

Code:

How and where does that replacement occur?

What I did was ugly, I am sure there is a better way to do it, but anyway here it goes: I renamed /bin/uname to /bin/uname64; I then created a /bin/uname32 as a shell script containing the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/bin/uname64 $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/

Finally, I symlinked /bin/uname to /bin/uname32. When done with the hack, I would change the symlink /bin/uname to point to /bin/uname64. Same goes for arch.

As korg rightly points out this setting breaks whenever one upgrades binutils, so the moving and symlinking has to be redone after each such an update. I was kind of hoping at first that aliases would do the same thing, but the configure scripts seem to work by absolute paths (which is probably for security reasons).
powermac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: patching mozilla Reply with quote

hi everybody,

i´ve installed gentoo on my powermac g5 in the last days. everything works perfectly, i´ve got a working X Configuration and this makes me very happy.
it ist the first time i tried gentoo and i am really not familiar with USE-Flags, emerge and all that stuff.

Thanks to the community for this information, witch was very very helpful:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57658
http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall/

now i want to setup gnome. as you know gnome needs epiphany wich needs mozilla. there is a known problem with mozilla, it does not compile.
i´ve found a buck ticket already:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54843

this bug ticket contains two downloadable patches.

but what i don´t know is how to apply this patch to my system.
to install mozilla i used this:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc" emerge mozilla

then emerge will download, unpack, compile and install the sources (normally, but not with mozilla...).

sorry, but i really dont know that much about gentoo yet and could not find information about applying patches... how can i do that?

thank you for the great work!

Michael
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the last messages in this thread for the patch thingy. Mozilla won't run but will compile and epiphany works well linked against the resulting installation.

By the way, this is all about mozilla 1.7; there is a newer one out there, but still not keyworded ppc64. Does anybody know whether it will work on PPC64? I might try it out (a working mozilla will be nice, eh?) but I am not holding my breath.
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I log into the PPC64 2004.2 CD (Beta 3)? I get a prompt asking for a password ...
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't own yet a ppc(64) but to log in you don't need a password. i strongly advise you to set one after you logged in
Code:
passwd

because the procedure changed and has been made more secure. you're permitted to login once without a password but to use another console (which i do everytime while installing gentoo - to download packages on another console, creating/changing configs on the third etc.) you MUST set a password.
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mox2k wrote:
How do I log into the PPC64 2004.2 CD (Beta 3)? I get a prompt asking for a password ...

User: root
Password: gentoo
sivad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had any success in booting my dual 1.8 GHz G5 with the PPC64 2004.2 CD (Beta 3). I burned the iso twice (once with nautilus-cd-burner from my ibook and again from OSX with toast) with the same results. The display freezes at the following point:

OpenPic2_Done
[boot]0025 openPic2_Done
PID hash table entries: 16 (order 4:256 bytes)
time_init: decrementer frequency = 33.333333 MHz
smp_core99_probe
smp_core99_kick_cpu
smp_core99_kick_cpu done
core99_setup_cpu 0 done

The machine then freezes, and the fans slowly start to rev. After a brief time the computer reboots. My G5 is a 'base' model except for: 1) upgrading the HD to 160; 2) memory to 1G; 3) graphics card to
Radeon 9600XT.

Has anyone had this issue?
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres no way i'd help someone with THEEEESE system specs! :twisted:
nesnimda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about someonew w/ 250GB HD, 2 2.0Ghz processors and 1.5GB ram?

I can start booting after everything but it gets somewhere along USB and reboots -_-
grrraaaaaar
*/frustration*
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivad wrote:
I have not had any success in booting my dual 1.8 GHz G5 with the PPC64 2004.2 CD (Beta 3). I burned the iso twice (once with nautilus-cd-burner from my ibook and again from OSX with toast) with the same results. The display freezes at the following point:

OpenPic2_Done
[boot]0025 openPic2_Done
PID hash table entries: 16 (order 4:256 bytes)
time_init: decrementer frequency = 33.333333 MHz
smp_core99_probe
smp_core99_kick_cpu
smp_core99_kick_cpu done
core99_setup_cpu 0 done

The machine then freezes, and the fans slowly start to rev. After a brief time the computer reboots. My G5 is a 'base' model except for: 1) upgrading the HD to 160; 2) memory to 1G; 3) graphics card to
Radeon 9600XT.

Has anyone had this issue?

i have the same dual-1.8, 512mb, 80gb, and 9600xt. my machine stops at the same core99_setup_cpu 0 done. i have tried 2 gentoo ppc64 cds, the gentoo 2004.2 ppc universal and the latest debian ppc cd. none will boot. i'm beginning to think this is an issues with the dual-1.8 systems as people with dual-2.0 are able to boot/install. i'm willing to try/test anything. luckily i dont need gentoo on this machine, but it would be nice.
sivad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom,

Thanks for commiserating with me. It is frustrating to see others having success with ppc64 and not being able to boot anything linux on my box. I have to admit that it has been educational learning about the 'quirks' of installing necessary apps on OSX and I am surviving but......

I guess I will be patient with the knowledge that my future linux partition is emty and ready to go. If only panther had a way to access a non-graphical terminal I would be more content. If you can command+alt+A into an X-server why is there no command+alt+B into a terminal?
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i opened a new bug:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65247
tgall_foo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: quick FYI Reply with quote

Just so ya'all know. I generally have zero .. that is null, notta, none, zilch, etc time to read the forums. Really your best bet for support is via irc. That is irc.freenode.net #gentoo-ppc64.

Regards,

Tom

Gentoo-ppc64 team leader
WJMoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: vim segfaulting Reply with quote

I got Gentoo 2006.0 up and running on my dual 1.8 G5 last night. emerged a few things including my fav editor, vim. However I'm having the same issue as bruda mentioned in the first post: vim segfaults on exit (before changes to the files are saved). Is anyone aware of a cause or solution for this? My CFLAGS have -O2 plus -mcpu=970 etc (at work now so going from memory).
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a known problem and compiling vim using >=gcc-4.0 fix this. the temporal solution is this:

Code:

$ echo "app-editors/vim -perl" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
$ emerge vim -vp
[...]
[ebuild   R   ] app-editors/vim-6.4  -acl -bash-completion -cscope +gpm -minimal +nls -perl* +python (-ruby) -vim-with-x 0 kB
[...]
$ emerge vim

Note that you _have to_ compile without perl support, when you use gcc-3.4.x...

I know this should be mentioned somewhere, but another dev is trying to debug the issue and solve it the correct way - takes some while though... :roll:

Also take a look at bug #98230.

Regards,

Markus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: