Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
An awesome app called Qingy (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edgaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HezniK wrote:
hi

I got bug report for s4t4n, for Qingy.
After Qingy is loaded (automaticly, in inittab), and i do nothing (to go to other room watch some films or something :)), and after i'm back (after an hour) and start some X session, top command says thaty Qingy has allocated about 38MB. htop command (which is considered that it shows actual program mem allocation, not shared) says that process "qingy tty1" has about 16MB, and other "qingy tty1" the same amount (thread or forke or whatever). Other qingy processess (on tty2 for example) shows just about 0.2. Oh, and System Load plugin for Xfce4-panel shows that there is about 133MB (of 185MB) of memory used after the start (normally is about 40MB).

cheers

Does this happen after the screen saver and stuff or do you not have the screen saver turned on?
HezniK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i got something like this in settings:

Code:

#screensaver "none"                                                             
screensaver "running_time"#="%H:%S:%M"

but i don't think so screensaver is running. when i was back after an hour there was still qingy main login screen (i didn't switched off a monitor).

oh, and one question:
now, with love7 and vesa-tng patch when switching from vesa-tng mode to/from bootsplash or to/from qingy there is a little delay (like when switchin video modes). Paradoxally when switching from vesa-tng framebuffer (tty3 on mine comp) to X there isn't such a flick (both are using 1024x768. one with 32bit and X with 16b), when i was using normal vesa there was, but not between qingy/bootsplash and normal vesafb.
it probably depends on DirectFB, so maybe someone (s4t4n) could post something on their mail list to add an option to DirectFB to use vesa-tng without bitching (if you think it's worth it, of course).

cheers

EDIT: I guess it's because DirectFB on normal vesafb can do max. 60Hz, and my X and terminals (on vesa-tng) have now 85Hz. So it must change mode when switching between them.
Psiuyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started trying out qingy, but I'm not getting very far...
It appears I have the same problem that was reported a few pages back,but I didn't notice anything that looked like a solution :(
Basically I see qingy, try to log in.... and it dumps me back to qingy. If I try to swicth to an agetty tty, I just get qingy.
If I log in as root, I get the "Welcome Master" msg... then back to qingy so I know authentication is going ok.
If I'm in a vt1 and do the whole 'killall agetty' and change to a different vt, I can't go back to vt1 (only qingy). And just like the other posts, esc esc just ends up flashing and returning me to qingy

Has there been any fixes/workarounds for this issue (sorry if I there were and I missed them)
(udev/linux26-headers-2.6.6-r1/vesafb[or sisfb]/glibc-2.3.4-20040605-r1[nptl])
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen any fixes for this yet, I am suffering the same problem with the 2.6.8 kernel. I have not been able to try the vesafb-tng patch to work properly on my system yet so I am not sure if that is a valid option.
Psiuyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, vesa-tng doesn't work properly for me either. It doesn't actually draw anything new to my screen, only a garbled display of whatever was last in vram... anyway, to get back to make this relevant to the topic, I have also used sisfb both stock and the improved?.
I get the same qingy issue with both, so I'm not holding my breath on vesa-tng being the fix. Although it is possible....
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I recompiled glibc without nptl, recompiled DirectFB and qingy, I am now logging into fluxbox through qingy

YIPPEEE

development-sources 2.6.8-rc1

vesa enabled and vga enabled
Psiuyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, did the same (took ages), and voila it worked. Qingy looks awsome, now if I could only get xdirectfb to actually fully compile... oh well, xorg works just fine :)
I really like nptl so I think I'm going to try to recompile glibc back with nptl and check the changelog/forums before I compile the next ver of DirectFB :)
We'll see if it all works out in the am.
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the benefits of nptl? I did it just to check it out, but I am not sure what exactly it did for me.
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
ok, I recompiled glibc without nptl, recompiled DirectFB and qingy, I am now logging into fluxbox through qingy

YIPPEEE

development-sources 2.6.8-rc1

vesa enabled and vga enabled

You are way quicker than me :-)
But I really have little time these times...

I was rebuilding another machine (without nptl) but it is still progressing to stage 3... I suppose this might well be the fix of the problem.
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
What are the benefits of nptl? I did it just to check it out, but I am not sure what exactly it did for me.

It provides lighter threads for applications, so that you can create/destroy them quicker, plus they use less memory... You should really notice the difference when you run the sun java enviroment compiled with nptl enabled...
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HezniK wrote:
hi

I got bug report for s4t4n, for Qingy.
After Qingy is loaded (automaticly, in inittab), and i do nothing (to go to other room watch some films or something :)), and after i'm back (after an hour) and start some X session, top command says thaty Qingy has allocated about 38MB. htop command (which is considered that it shows actual program mem allocation, not shared) says that process "qingy tty1" has about 16MB, and other "qingy tty1" the same amount (thread or forke or whatever). Other qingy processess (on tty2 for example) shows just about 0.2. Oh, and System Load plugin for Xfce4-panel shows that there is about 133MB (of 185MB) of memory used after the start (normally is about 40MB).

cheers

I notice it now, too...
The time qingy is active apparently does nothing to memory usage (on my machine at least), when logged in qingy uses about 30 to 38 MB of ram... Yet another thing to work on...
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4t4n wrote:
snekiepete wrote:

It provides lighter threads for applications, so that you can create/destroy them quicker, plus they use less memory... You should really notice the difference when you run the sun java enviroment compiled with nptl enabled...

so if I used nptl to compile glibc and then sun-java then when I recompiled glibc without nptl, am I still receiving the benefit?
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
s4t4n wrote:
snekiepete wrote:

so if I used nptl to compile glibc and then sun-java then when I recompiled glibc without nptl, am I still receiving the benefit?

In theory not, you should have to recompile the java enviroment in order to get it working again...
psofa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ive killed the bootsplash patch and im compiling glibc without nptl , i hope its woth it :)
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psofa wrote:
ok ive killed the bootsplash patch and im compiling glibc without nptl , i hope its woth it :)

It worked for me, too. I also had to re-emerge DirectFB and qingy, after the headers downgrade and glibc recompile... I tried kernel 2.6.7-love7...
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wonder what about nptl, the new kernels, and DirectFB is the problem?
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post caight my eye with the whole DirectFB problem

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=194077&highlight=
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i have qingy running on a 2.6.3 kernel but not on 2.6.7-r10, there is now r11 release out, does qingy work with this and is qingy still in development?

Did visit qingy site but not much there on dev news, be nice to know if this project is alive and moving forward other wise i am going to have to find replacement for nice app.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
s4t4n
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Hello, i have qingy running on a 2.6.3 kernel but not on 2.6.7-r10, there is now r11 release out, does qingy work with this

It should work if you don't use the nptl; if you do, 2.6.5 is the latest kernel you can use, due to strange problems with DirectFB.

carpman wrote:

and is qingy still in development?
Did visit qingy site but not much there on dev news, be nice to know if this project is alive and moving forward other wise i am going to have to find replacement for nice app.

It is: now that I got around the crash issues, I'm going to release version 0.4.1 soon...
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It is: now that I got around the crash issues, I'm going to release version 0.4.1 soon...

thanks for the update, will look at kernel config again.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
darksage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am just lost here, but what is nptl, is it something in my kernel
when I start qingy on my laptop with 2.6.7-( 7-11 ) which are the only ones I have tried I get a black screen and my console locks up, I can still press caps and stuff but my system is non-responsive

I have tried everything I have seen on these forums but I dont think qingy will work,....

I was wondering if I might have nptl support and dont know it I do
is there any way to check?
Edgaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksage wrote:
Maybe I am just lost here, but what is nptl, is it something in my kernel
when I start qingy on my laptop with 2.6.7-( 7-11 ) which are the only ones I have tried I get a black screen and my console locks up, I can still press caps and stuff but my system is non-responsive

I have tried everything I have seen on these forums but I dont think qingy will work,....

I was wondering if I might have nptl support and dont know it I do
is there any way to check?

nptl support is something with glibc. I believe it is controlled with a use flag. Explinations of what it actually is and does are to be found earlier in this thread (so read the whole thing :P )
darksage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I have the useflag off, so that couldn't be the prob, is there any surefire way to get this to work?
.hesoez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use sources that add the bootsplash-patch(gentoo-dev-sources adds the patch), it gives the black screen. and don't use nptl.

i've got qingy running fine on 2.6.7-love7 though i had to disable nptl(hope there will be a release soon that allows qingy+nptl, don't wanna go back to 2.6.5).

grtz
darksage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it is my bootsplash that does it, that is such a hard choice, my beutiful splash or my beutiful qingy......

is there any possible idea anyone hasn't tried for getting both?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 18 of 30

Jump to: