emerge world not updating _all_ new available packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemo_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: emerge world not updating _all_ new available packages Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering why running emerge world or emerge -u world will only upgrade parts of the apps which have a new version or ebuild available.

For instance I just ran emerge -p world and got just one upgrade, perl-5.6.1-r7. However doing a diff between the list of my installed packages (as returned by pkglist) and the list returned by emerge -ep world shows that the following packages could also have been updated :
app-arch/unzip-5.50
dev-lang/tk-8.3.3-r2
kde-base/kdelibs-3.0.3a

At first I thougth the reason behind this was that the difference between the installed packages and the new one available was not worth an upgrade yet but the new unzip is actually a security fix so that's certainly not the reason.

Not that it really bothers me, I wrote a little script to show and emerge these ebuilds when available but I'd like to find out why this happens. Or maybe I'm missing something ?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of portage are you running? The behavior of "emerge -u world" changed pretty drastically in 2.0.37.
nemo_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep up to date, especially since I had some issues with portage 2.0.36

fat scripts # pkglist | grep portage
sys-apps/portage-2.0.38

dude, that was a fast reply :)
you guys are doing an awesome work with these forums, I also wanted to say thanks for all the time you put into this place - definitely a helpfull community

I'd like to see if other people's system behave the same way or if I've screwed up somewhere setting up mine, you can run my script or do it manually (please dont flame me for writing ugly scripts, this was a quick hack) and see if the output is different from an emerge -p world or emerge -pu world

emerge -p -e world | grep ebuild | awk '{ print $4 }' | sort > n
pkglist | sort > i
diff i n | grep \> | awk '{ print $2 }'
if [ "$1" = "-e" ]; then echo; echo "emerging new packages..."; sleep 2
for i in `diff i n | grep \> | awk '{ print $2 }'`
do
ebuildfile=`echo $i | awk -F\/ '{ print $2 }'`
emerge `find /usr/portage -name "$ebuildfile.ebuild"`
done
fi
rm n i
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. Here's the result of a little detective work, using unzip as an example. I've got unzip on my system too, and it's not in my world file, and I don't have any idea why it's there. I can confirm that it needs an update with "emerge -s", and I can confirm nemo_'s finding that it doesn't get picked up by "emerge -up world". I checked --deep and --selective, and they do work, and I get slightly more packages with --deep than I do with --selective.

My first thought was that it was something in the packages file that just was there from the start, but it's not, and it's not in any of the profiles' packages files that I checked. So something on my system wants it. What?
Code:
$ find /var/db/pkg/ -name RDEPEND | xargs grep -w unzip
/var/db/pkg/net-www/mozilla-1.1-r1/RDEPEND:     app-arch/unzip

So here's my theory - please confirm or deny - those problem packages are only depended on by packages that you have installed in spite of their being masked in packages.mask.
BackSeat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fer shure there are issues here (I believe the up and coming version of portage will address some of this). An easy demonstration:
Code:
# emerge -p $(qpkg -I -nc)
and look for those packages that want to be upgraded or installed as new. Very different from 'emerge -up world'. Gentoo is growing; these are growing pains.

BS
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of Gentoo are you running?

I had some dependency problems when I first installed 1.4rc1 and tried to move the world file from my Gentoo 1.2.

After manually emerging the packages, looks like it is working right now. Need more tests to see if your issues are not also in my system.
nemo_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Which version of Gentoo are you running?

that's a gentoo 1.2
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem, but with gentoo 1.4rc.

doing a
Code:

emerge -up world

shows less things to be upgraded than
Code:

emerge -up $(qpkg -I -nc)

does.

I`m using portage 2.0.38
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed in a few other threads...

When you install a package only the packages itself is registed in your world file, dependencies are NOT. Dependencies will not be updated in the future automatically unless an update to the main package is available, in which case the new dependencies will be brought in as well.

Using emerge --deep causes dependencies to be considered for upgrades even if the packages that depend on them have no upgrades available. There is a pool of though that says that using --deep could cause some broken dependencies and things to stop working, but when portage DOES upgrade dependencies (as described above) itself it does no checks to make sure it compiles all the programs that depend on that library, thereby opening itself up for broken dependencies that it would create.

I currently have another thread open about this question because I'm trying to find out what the official stance is as far as --deep, and if they say it's a "unsafe", why the default portage behavior is "unsafe" as well.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3, at the time this thread was written (Portage 2.0.37), --deep was on by default, so unzip should have been picked up. The problem was a bug in Portage dealing with interactions between --deep and packages.mask (which was the only masking method around at the time).
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
dreamer3, at the time this thread was written (Portage 2.0.37), --deep was on by default, so unzip should have been picked up.

I stand corrected. Just trying to be helpful. :oops:

So, deep used to be the default? Interesting...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: