dhcpcd and ifconfig
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalephunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: dhcpcd and ifconfig Reply with quote

Okay, hey, my first post to the forums. Just got Gentoo up and running ;)

Everything's running relatively smoothly (a few glitches here and there, but I'm playing with it), except I'm getting some weirdness with dhcpcd and ifconfig. I connect to the net with my comcast cable modem, which while I can get a good amount of speed, it's not too reliable. When my modem goes down, I have to kill dhcpcd and then wait for it to come back up, then re-run dhcpcd (for some reason, it won't re-grab my IP address if I leave dhcpcd running and then the modem comes back up...). First problem -- dhcpcd -k doesn't work. Gives me the error of "dhcpcd isn't running" (though top says it is, and I kill it through there). Then, when the modem reconnects after god knows how long, I run dhcpcd and it grabs my IP and my box can connect to the internet. Fine and dandy. But thing is, my box is the firewall for the rest of my network, and for some reason, after re-running dhcpcd, my other ethernet card loses its IP (of 10.10.10.1), and trying to use "ifconfig eth0 add 10.10.10.1 broadcast 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0", it tells me that it can't assign that IP address. That stumps me, because, well, it's not assigned to anything. Regardless, a reboot restores the original settings, though it's pretty inconvinient. Suggestions?

Thanks, and so far, Gentoo's running great. Awesome distro.
r101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it's already lost it's connection, dhcpd might have already dropped it's least, try dhcpd -n to renew, see if that works.

Other that that, the scripts under /etc/init.d are always good to try. So doing "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop" then "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" might bring your internet connection back up, and the same with net.eth1 may bring your local network back up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: