Kernel Config Suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Kernel Config Suggestion Reply with quote

Make the default kernel values closer to what would be used in everyday operation. I had to go through and change all these settings and it took several tries before i got it right. And it still doesn't work yet.
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is the save a copy of the .config file in your home dir, and load it every time you want to build a new kernel. Then you just go through and have to make very minimal changes ;)
SirronD

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Rather than one default how about a set? Reply with quote

I am new to gentoo, and I switched after several hears as a Mandrake "only" linux user.

The hardest part (for me) of the gentoo installation was the kernel configuration. There are too many options for the novice user.

Most of my problems with gentoo are traced to improper kernel configuration, and I have compiled and recompiled my kernel (12 times in a 1 week period). And as soon as I finish this post I will be reconfiguring and compiling yet again.

Why not have a series configs of for different situations? I would suggest 2 configs per different source (gentoo, xfs, vanilla, ...) One config for laptops and one for desktops.

In my case I have a laptop with XFS filesystems. And I still have yet to get a compile that actually "turns off" my system after shutdown. I'm sure it is a config issue.

I believe starting with a default config for laptops with the XFS sources would have solved many of the issues I have had.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rather than one default how about a set? Reply with quote

SirronD wrote:
The hardest part (for me) of the gentoo installation was the kernel configuration. There are too many options for the novice user.

Gentoo isn't geared towards the novice user. It assumes a fair amount of linux knowledge.

SirronD wrote:
And I still have yet to get a compile that actually "turns off" my system after shutdown. I'm sure it is a config issue.

Probably -- I believe you have to have APM enabled in the kernel. (it's something power-management related -- just don't remember off the top of my head)

SirronD wrote:
I believe starting with a default config for laptops with the XFS sources would have solved many of the issues I have had.

Probably, but knowing more about linux in general would have also solved a lot of the issues you've had. That isn't meant to sound mean -- it's simply a fact.

Mandrake and RedHat are geared towards the novice user. Distros like Debian, Gentoo and LFS are geared towards the more advanced users. While it might be possible to offer some default kernel configs to make things easier, I'm not sure how much value that would add to the overall Gentoo project. For instance, you mentioned a config for laptops with XFS sources. I prefer ext3 and other folks prefer ReiserFS. Should we then offer three separate configs? What about people that use desktops? There's three more configs right there. Then, add things like IDE vs. SCSI, devfs vs. non-devfs and you've suddenly got an unmanageable number of configs on your hands.

So sure, you could limit it to only a certain number of configs, but then you've also limited the number of people for whom those configs are useful.

Alternately, you could instead assume that folks will understand how to do a kernel config and instead devote that time towards making portage better, increasing the number of ebuilds or other things that will help the entire Gentoo user base, rather than just a small subset.

BTW, if it helps at all, we've all gone through the headaches associated with learning how to compile a kernel. It's a big, hairy pain in the ass the first few times. But, as with most things, the more you do it, the more comfortable you get with it and the more you learn about how a kernel config actually works. The point is, when you're all finished and finally have a kernel that works perfectly for you, you're going to know a hell of a lot more about how that process works than if someone had given you all the answers to start with.

--kurt
ProGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple of times I compiled my own kernels, I didn't know a thing about any of the options, not even menuconfig. So I went through config, over and over again, just to get it right (and I never really did).
Quite annoying, however, today I can reconfigure a kernel within quite a short time. Remember, most items have been documented throigh the "help" feature, so it's just reading the stuff, and you'll either understand it, or go with the suggested selection.

Kernel configuration gives a good insight into Linux, which in turn is a good thing, when asking for help.
The fewest people hanging around on mailinglists, forums and IRC like helping people that are completely clueless, and refuse to read those manuals or try things out for themselves.
Keep in mind, that the best way of learning, is to try it yourself.
If we need something, we would need a documentation on safe kernel compilation, ie. how to make backup of your running kernel, so that you can get back to reconfiguring af new one.

There is nothing wrong in being a newbie (heck, we all are), but there is something wrong in not trying. Gentoo just forces you to try, where Mandrake and friends, gives you the option to be lazy, and we all know, that noone ever learns anything from laziness.

So, grab your sourcecode, configure once again, and compile away ;)
id10t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I did - grab a config file from the bare.i Slackware kernel, and just run make oldconfig. You end up with a TON of extra stuff you don't need, but once you have X working it is no problem to make xconfig and turn off the extra stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: