Very odd problem with DVI vs. analog connection on monitor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Very odd problem with DVI vs. analog connection on monitor Reply with quote

I have a Viewsonic VG191 flatscreen and a VisionTek GeForce4 MX 440 AGP card. The card has one DVI (digital) connector and one analog one. If I hook the monitor up to the analog connecion, everything works fine. If, however, I hook the connection up to the DVI connector, everything works fine except being able to switch between a graphical desktop (KDE) and a text-based console.

While in KDE, if I hit ctrl-alt-F2 to go to a text console, the video signal is lost -- keyboard commands still work since I"m able to ctrl-alt-del to reboot, but I cannot get a video signal at all. Sometimes I can get the video signal to come back by hitting ctrl-alt-F7 to get back into X, but that is not consistently successful.

Similarly, if I killall -15 kdm, the video signal is also lost -- I do not get dropped back down to the text console from which I launched kdm.

I've googled around but haven't come up with anything. Viewsonic and VisionTek's web site have no pertinent information, either.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem with my DVI connection?

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr...looks like it's a problem with the nVidia drivers and/or the GeForce architecture. Also doesn't look like it's going to be fixed in the near future...

--kurt
ParoXysm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a solution in the mean time?
Because I've got the same problem with my Asus V8420 Geforce4.
When I boot up in CLI everything is fine, I've added the "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP" option to my XF86Config and when I startx I will see my windowmanager. But when I switch to CLI again or exit X then the Signal is lost and ctr+alt+del is the only solution.

The strangest thing about this is that even my CRT monitor, which is connected to the analog output will turn blank when going from X to CLI.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: