emu10k1 won't install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_north
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: emu10k1 won't install Reply with quote

Hello.

I have a SBLive! which is correctly detected by Linux in boot, untill boot arrives at that part where we can read the [ok!] in greens, where it gives an erros loading emu10k1.

This is the message i recieve from modprobe emu10k1.

[root@localhost root]# modprobe emu10k1
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod emu10k1 failed

A friend of mine spent some hours at my machine and concluded that there was some kind of interference betweed my sblive and my tvcard. I tried to remove the tvcard to no avail. according to my friend, i have the soundcard at IRQ12 and emu10k1 is loaded to irq 5. he tried to load the module to irq5 but he didn't knew the parameters.

can anyone help?
ninja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you 100% sure that you have compiled the emu10k1 module in the kernel? I'm using the a emu10k1 based sound card to and i had to compile it as a module.

I had simmilar error messages with my wireless card modules in the end i hadn't complied the correct module
LugnutsForBrains
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is related or not, but I have a plain old vibra 16 sound blaster that just will not work under alsa.

It works fine under all Windows and Mandrake. It works under Gentoo ok if I compile the driver into the kernel and then pass the proper irq, io, and such when I boot the kernel. But, I just cannot get it to load properly using modules. Which seems to be the alsa way at the moment.

Is there any truth to the rumor that alsa support might be in the 2.6 kernel?
peter_north
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: TO LUGNUTSFORBRAIN Reply with quote

Quote:
It works under Gentoo ok if I compile the driver into the kernel and then pass the proper irq, io, and such when I boot the kernel.

How do you pass the proper irq? (syntax please)
LugnutsForBrains
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact syntax anymore. Maybe this document will help The Linux SOUND HOWTO

Sorry my pea-sized brain doesn't remember more... :roll:
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: emu10k1 won't install Reply with quote

peter_north wrote:
I have a SBLive! which is correctly detected by Linux in boot, untill boot arrives at that part where we can read the [ok!] in greens, where it gives an erros loading emu10k1.

Just to make sure:How's your sblive detected by the linux kernel???? have you compiled sblive support in kernel???? or do you mean that you can list it using /proc/pci. If you have it compiled in you don't need the module, you shouldn't even have it ;-)

Think you can override irq with insmod emu10k1 irq=.... io=....

I use alsa myself with sblive value.

Cya lX.

Ps. To get the extra parameters of a module use modinfo, modinfo emu10k1.
Anubis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem before. What is interesting is that I added the snd-emu10k1 to the /etc/modules.autoload and then everything worked. Basically, the modules.autoload loaded the module, but as the startup continued on it came to the part after alsa where it tries to load the module, errors with module already loaded and keeps going *shrug*. It works, I don't necessarily like having errors though, so I'll keep looking into it.
peter_north
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: THANKS EVERYONE Reply with quote

Thank everyone for helping.

A friend of mine got on my computer yesterday and compiled the modules in the kernel which, he said, would resolve the IRQ problem... (you know, instead of choosing (M) he chose (*) during config) and it worked! Now I have sound! Although a little wierd...
I have 5 speakers, and almost every application I use has it's weird way of using the speakers. For example, ArmageTron sound is fine, it uses four speakers, but, for example, XMMS uses only the rear speakers. The cd-player on Gnome uses only the front speakers and, both the least and the worst, Chromium uses only the rear speakers with some sounds missing (probably should be playing on the front speakers).

Anyone has a sugestion?
djprotoss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting the same error when trying to load the alsa drivers. the fix was to remove emu10k1 support from the kernel....
doug-x07
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem, are you sure its an emu10k1 chipset. In my case with a Sounblaster live it was actually an ensoniq one. Take a look in /proc/pci to make sure.
try { $again } catch { $problem && $resolve };
bless $posters; }
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: