Filesystem issues ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Filesystem issues ... Reply with quote

Hi ... Gentoo XFS problem ... :(

I can reboot my machine and everything without problems, but if i do a shutdown -h now, or pull the plug, my XFS root partition needs repair ... have tried both the xfs- and gentoo kernel sources, none of them seems to be the problem .. :roll:

Anyone seen that problem? How did you solve it?
Not too keen on changing to neither Reiser, as it aint stable (according to the install guide at least), nor ext3, which should be slow as h*** ... :?

Tia.
West

Last edited by west on Tue May 21, 2002 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Not much help Reply with quote

I've read all the problems here with XFS and just don't see. I'm so happy with XFS. Fast, no problems at all. Running my own (little) web/mail server and haven't had a glitch. Came home one night and the power had gone out in my apartment. Turned the power on, booted up in nothing flat, no errors. Just sweet. Sorry, but I just haven't had any problems with it at all.
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much help Reply with quote

grakker wrote:
I've read all the problems here with XFS and just don't see. I'm so happy with XFS. Fast, no problems at all. Running my own (little) web/mail server and haven't had a glitch. Came home one night and the power had gone out in my apartment. Turned the power on, booted up in nothing flat, no errors. Just sweet. Sorry, but I just haven't had any problems with it at all.

I agree, XFS runs perfect here. I had lots of problems using ext3. Journal was fried (had to creat a new one), never survived a unclean shutdown and things like that.
XFS is noticeably faster in addition, ext3 slowed down everything.
Regarding ReiserFS: I used it with SuSE and Mandrake and never had any problems. Was also much faster than ext3.
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, reformatted and tried with Reiser, same problem ...

this is what it wrote:
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:07 (hda), sector 9437184
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:07

What am I doing wrong? Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much help Reply with quote

[quote="dek"]
grakker wrote:

XFS is noticeably faster in addition, ext3 slowed down everything.

Faster? Depends on the things you do with it.
Try deleting a directory with 100.000 files with XFS. It takes so much longer than reiserfs. I think Xfs is the king of fs when it comes to video streaming, i.e. large files. For a news server take reiserfs.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west wrote:
Hmm, reformatted and tried with Reiser, same problem ...

this is what it wrote:
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:07 (hda), sector 9437184
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:07

What am I doing wrong? Anyone?

Did you compiled your kernel with reiserfs support? Unless you use initrd mechanism you have to build it into the kernel, not as a module.
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yupz, i did, its built in, and not as a module ... :!:
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your having such extreme problems with xfs and reiserfs, I would recommend you use ext3 it is most surely slower than xfs and reiserfs in most ways but I haven't had any problems with it.

I will say on my next install I'm going back to XFS :)
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That error almost looks like you have a bad sector on your hard drive. IIRC, there is an option in fdisk to scan for bad sectors. And re: XFS, did you emerge 'xfs-progs'?

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: XFS Reply with quote

Hmmm, just for information:
I actualy use ext3 and i have no problems!
But "wtf" is XFS?
Every body talking about it...anyone can give me 3 reasons to move from ext3 to XFS or REISERFS ??? ( If so to wich one? )
Many Thanks

MACPRO machine...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWart wrote:
That error almost looks like you have a bad sector on your hard drive. IIRC, there is an option in fdisk to scan for bad sectors. And re: XFS, did you emerge 'xfs-progs'?

I did emerge xfs-progs ... but thanx for the other tip, will check it out when i get home!

pacman wrote:
But "wtf" is XFS?

Just another file system ... both reiser and xfs should be way faster then ext3.

rgz.
West

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: New FS Reply with quote

But the Gentoo Install Doc says:
Quote:
Warning: Again, we do not recommend ReiserFS at this time. While ReiserFS has worked fine for many, filesystem corruption has been too common a problem with ReiserFS and the 2.4.x series kernels.

So?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: New FS Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
But the Gentoo Install Doc says:
Quote:
Warning: Again, we do not recommend ReiserFS at this time. While ReiserFS has worked fine for many, filesystem corruption has been too common a problem with ReiserFS and the 2.4.x series kernels.

So?

If you read this thread from the start, you would know that i started out with XFS, only tried Reiser cuz it worked out fine for most ppl ive asked ...so there!
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops ... forgot to login ... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should believe you, i mean the users or the Gentoo documentation?
Don't get me wrong, i don't say you have no idea or something like that but i think is more safe to listen to Gentoo?!?!

Correct me if I'm wrong.
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, XFS obviously doesn't work ... :?
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lots of problems trying to get XFS to work as well as ext2. SO after trying over and over again to get the above mentioned file systems working I went with ext3 and it worked like a charm. Had to do that for both the root and boot partitions.
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
I had lots of problems trying to get XFS to work as well as ext2. SO after trying over and over again to get the above mentioned file systems working I went with ext3 and it worked like a charm. Had to do that for both the root and boot partitions.

Aint it quite slow?
west
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Maxtor's diag bootdisk tells me that my HD is just fine ... no bad blox or anything ... :|
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience ext2 is the fastest of the group, then XFS followed by closely by ReiserFS, and the slowest being ext3. But none of the above are really "slow" just some are faster than others, read the documentation on all available linux filesystems and perhaps look at some benchmarks before choosing your final partiton type.

I chose ext3 because it's the most flexible linux filesytem IMO, but like I said before XFS is noticeably faster for the tasks I set upon it.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
We should believe you, i mean the users or the Gentoo documentation?
Don't get me wrong, i don't say you have no idea or something like that but i think is more safe to listen to Gentoo?!?!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Gentoo" *is* the users. The documentation was made by people who have the same amount of usage of the reiserfs filesystem as a number of "users".

ReiserFS has issues for some. Even me, one time. However, it has progressed, and as with anything those bugs do go away mostly. I'm not saying that Reiserfs' bugs have gone away, but they have diminished by a large margin.

I use reiserfs on a couple of my partitions now, and I haven't had an issue yet. Now, I use them on my /var, /tmp, and /home directory which aren't exactly the most pressured, but I have slammed the system into the ground several times at full tilt and they have come right back with no user interaction whatsoever. (I run ext3 on the rest of my partitions)

The docs aren't the end-all-be-all of information. They merely warn you that in the past people have had issues with ReiserFS. YMMV as they say.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much help Reply with quote

grakker wrote:
Faster? Depends on the things you do with it.
Try deleting a directory with 100.000 files with XFS. It takes so much longer than reiserfs. I think Xfs is the king of fs when it comes to video streaming, i.e. large files. For a news server take reiserfs.

I said XFS is faster than ext3 (regardless off what i'm doing). Both XFS and ReiserFS has always been fast and reliable to me. And you are right, ReiserFS might be even faster when you got many small files. That reflects my experience as well.
I think next time i'm going to build a new partition, i'll toss a coin. ;)
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget to login. Last post was from me.

dek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: