Linux installer for Windows games
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirantloblanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Linux installer for Windows games Reply with quote

I have some games, that i know have been ported to Linux, but i only have the Win32 version, is there anyway to get an installer or anything to install those games in Linux?
My games Shogun, Sim City3000, Soldier of Fortune, Tribes2, Deus EX, Soldier of Fortune, RailRoad Tycoon and RTCW.

Thanks!
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I know for sure that you can use a windows game CD is RTCW. You do need Windows or WINE to install it, since you'll need to take some of the files from the windows install and copy them into the Linux install. You can grab an installer that creates all the other files for it and gives you a list of files you'll need to take from a RTCW install. You should be able to do something simliar with the other ports like Tribes2 and Soldier Of Fortune, but I can't gaurantee it.

Some of the other ones that aren't ported might run in WineX. You can emerge WineX, but if you want the absolute latest version, go here http://www.frankscorner.org/wine/ and follow the directions to get WineX up, and then follow the directions to get the CVS WineX to work with installshield. If you feel like shelling out $5-10/month you can subscribe to the commercial version that has support for safe disc and installshield builtin. Being a subscriber, you also get priveledges to vote on what games/features you want them to support next. BTW, the best I've gotten with Deus Ex and WineX is running it in a window.
tirantloblanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As i already have Winex installed, it won't be difficult to try to install them...
The next time i will try to buy the native version (i already bought Quake3,Civilization and HoM&M), but if it's difficult to find a linux port of a game, it's even more difficult to find the spanish translation ported...
mtPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: safedisc? Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
If you feel like shelling out $5-10/month you can subscribe to the commercial version that has support for safe disc and installshield builtin.

So what is safedisk? If I go with the ebuild am I loosing any functionality I need? The commersial version is binary I assume?

Thanks.
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeusEx works great using wine (not winex) in OpenGl mode. I had to make the DeusEx.log file read only in order to keep it from crashing on startup. Also, for some reason it will crach my X server sometimes (not always though) when I exit the game.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MtPete : Yes the commercial version come in binary.

Winex-cvs doesn't include copy protection like safedisk and other. So when you use the winex-cvs you will need a no-cd path to make the game works even if you bought the game. The commercial verison of Winex include the copy protection so you wont need a patch.

Personnaly I wont pay to play my game its not a MMORPG ;)
mtPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, with the commercial version you can play the game without the cdrom disk (without needing to apply a nocd crack yourself)?
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah in the commercial version you will need the cd like in windows but you wont need the to apply a non-cd patch.

They have other minor stuff that is not in the cvs version... can't remember exactly... anyways so far I winex-cvs is pretty good and the only game I can't make it works is warcraft 3. I also tried The Sims but even the commercial version has problem with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: