Gentoo on Alpha XL/Milo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Alpha XL/Milo Reply with quote

hi,

i have an alpha here that ran Suse 8.1 but i don´t like Suse and therefore i thought it would be a great idea to do a stage 1 gentoo insall...

i used 1.4rc1 but that didn´t work and so i´m using 2004.0 live cd for alpha with stage1-alpha-1.4-r1.tbz2 first and then stage1-alpha-20040313.tar.bz2. this was suggested in this forum some time ago because stage1-alpha-20040313.tar.bz2 doesn´t include the /dev.
i tried with touching /dev/null oder with devfs first but with the same results... bootstrap.sh fails. gettext can´t be compiled - for no reason. (no error message). someone here mentioned to instruct gentoo to not-use the alpha-gettext version but a "vanilla one" instead. how do i do this?

could i have this problem because i bootet the "legacy" kernel with milo? the "alpha" one doesn´t work with that. i´m still using milo 2.12 from my old suse install.
MxA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have an XLT 300 on which I've booted and installed using 2004.0, using the legacy kernel. I had to use a different milo (2.2-18 ) as well, downloaded from ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/TESTING/xlt-milo.img. Note that this one only works on the XLT (21164 CPU), not the XL (21064 CPU)! But then again, since you do seem to be able to boot the kernel, I doubt that milo is the problem.

At the risk of asking the obvious: did you emerge sync before you ran bootstrap.sh?
itti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i did....
and finally i managed to get this bootstrap thing startet... now i´m at compiling the kernelsource. i used "alpha-sources" but after i while of compile i get "depmod: unaligned trap"
itti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i continued the installation instructions ignoring the depmod error messages... seems like an System.map has been created although. now when i boot via milo the kernel loads, changes to framebuffer output. detectes my scsi drives and then obviously mountes root als read-only just before it throws me to some sort of shell. the prompt says "init-2.05b". looks like bash... i don´t understand this. why does this happen? what prevents the machine from booting up to multiuser mode?

here´s my OSLOADOPTIONS=boot sda2:/vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1

i have
/dev/sda1 = vfat with milo
/dev/sda2 = ext2 with /boot
/dev/sda3 = swap
/dev/sdb1 = reiserfs with /
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: