Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looking Glass GPLed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Markrian
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 46
Location: Kent, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Looking Glass GPLed Reply with quote

No words.... ... should have sent... a poet..!

EDIT: Just in case you have no idea what Looking Glass is, it's a 3D window manager developed by Sun Microsystems that looks fantastic.
_________________
Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopædia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ralph
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Posts: 2001
Location: Hamburg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Where's the ebuild? :twisted:
_________________
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
- Frank Zappa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's wank regardless, what does a 3d environment get us, aside a lot of usability problems..

nothing that's right, it's useless eyecandy, it offers no improvement over the current situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Markrian
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 46
Location: Kent, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoLC wrote:
it's wank regardless, what does a 3d environment get us, aside a lot of usability problems..

nothing that's right, it's useless eyecandy, it offers no improvement over the current situation.

Erm... first of all, don't bash it until you've tried it. Looking Glass is unlike ANY other WM around today.

Second of all, even if it's actually a usability nightmare, open-source *anything* paves the way for new avenues of thought. Certainly no evil can come of this.
_________________
Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopædia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t


Joined: 15 Dec 2002
Posts: 694
Location: Caerdydd, Wales

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both arguments.......looking glass looks like nonsense ATM, no advantages to current 2D WM's........but then, having it open source does mean that perhaps we'll see some interesting developments elsewhere :wink:
_________________
www.iamthepenguin.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Feb 2004
Posts: 2500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like it will just be more eye candy, and more than likely I will give it a shot and probably go back to Fluxbox in a heartbeat. However, it's not like it's a waste of time since there are some people that like this stuff. I personally would rather have FDO's Xserver because of true transparency, but that's just me and something that I like. :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the demo video a while back. Looked quite impressive. Mostly, I think it is the OSS version of softare that perpetuates the need for faster processors.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
It does look like it will just be more eye candy, and more than likely I will give it a shot and probably go back to Fluxbox in a heartbeat. However, it's not like it's a waste of time since there are some people that like this stuff. I personally would rather have FDO's Xserver because of true transparency, but that's just me and something that I like. :wink:
Agreed I'm hoping now that it 's GPL'd, Keith might include some of the eye-candy into the XServer project.
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
riis
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Posts: 63
Location: Aalborg, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I can't wait to try it. Although I am affraid it sucks balls, but hey, you have to try it.

On a side note that article in the register was hilarious:
Quote:
This Sun article [link] explains how it came about. Programmer Hideya Kawahara began by trying to integrate elements of 3D into a conventional desktop, which explains why it looks so fresh, and is more-or-less completely useless. 3D doesn't in itself make the machine any easier to use, as this formation of windows flying over the Grand Canyon illustrates.


lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HydroSan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 764
Location: The Kremlin (aka Canada)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people are bashing it. SUN Microsystems is pratically opening up every single flagship product to us (Solaris, Java, and now their new baby, Looking Glass), in an attempt to help both the Open Source community and themselves. I have to say that they have great courage opening up these technologies.

Secondly, Looking Glass is probably the most sleek-looking WM I've seen yet. It beats the shit out of any WM so far I've used (KDE, GNOME, Fluxbox, XFCE4, XPDE, E, FVWM) in terms of eyecandy, and actually looks innovative and different. I'm not saying the rest of the WM's are crap and they should burn in hell, but what I'm saying is that now the Open Source Community has another key to making Linux a good, stable, secure and nice-to-look-at operating system for anyone.
_________________
I was a Gangster for Capitalism, by Major General Smedley Butler.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stonent
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 1139
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMM. I'm having flashbacks of MS's "chrome" they were going on about in the late 90's.
_________________
Inspiron 4100 & Sun UltraAXe
Portage on Solaris|Dell Laptop Hacks
The way you feel about organized religion is the same way I feel about organized socialism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonent wrote:
MMMM. I'm having flashbacks of MS's "chrome" they were going on about in the late 90's.


funny so are they.. the "new" longhorn GUI has some 3d features, like arranging all windows "sideways" for easy access. It's to is basically useless currently, but it does look pretty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
[...] SUN Microsystems is pratically opening up every single flagship product to us (Solaris, Java, and now their new baby, Looking Glass), in an attempt to help both the Open Source community and themselves. I have to say that they have great courage opening up these technologies.
So they did release Solaris as open-source? Very cool...
Quote:
Secondly, Looking Glass is probably the most sleek-looking WM I've seen yet. It beats the shit out of any WM so far I've used (KDE, GNOME, Fluxbox, XFCE4, XPDE, E, FVWM) in terms of eyecandy, and actually looks innovative and different. I'm not saying the rest of the WM's are crap and they should burn in hell, but what I'm saying is that now the Open Source Community has another key to making Linux a good, stable, secure and nice-to-look-at operating system for anyone.
Agreed.
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoLC wrote:
It's to is basically useless currently, but it does look pretty.
M$ software is useless? Why am I not surprised?
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stonent
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 1139
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshots for those not familiar.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.html
_________________
Inspiron 4100 & Sun UltraAXe
Portage on Solaris|Dell Laptop Hacks
The way you feel about organized religion is the same way I feel about organized socialism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HydroSan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 764
Location: The Kremlin (aka Canada)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
HydroSan wrote:
[...] SUN Microsystems is pratically opening up every single flagship product to us (Solaris, Java, and now their new baby, Looking Glass), in an attempt to help both the Open Source community and themselves. I have to say that they have great courage opening up these technologies.
So they did release Solaris as open-source? Very cool...


SCO (Dun dun dunnnnn~...) is trying to hold it up in court with some sort of bullshit "we ownz joo" claim because they supposedly invested $10 some many years ago and just HAPPENED to remember it now. But Solaris will eventually get GPL'd because IBM is apparently helping out SUN (now there's a pairing I never though I'd see 8O ) with beating the shit out of SCO (yet again.)
_________________
I was a Gangster for Capitalism, by Major General Smedley Butler.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
SoLC wrote:
It's to is basically useless currently, but it does look pretty.
M$ software is useless? Why am I not surprised?


Actually I have access to the development builds of Longhorn via an insider, I tried them out on his machine, Longhorn will be a very sleek system, but right now it's a... bumpy ride... and it's slow as nothing i've ever seen.

Never the less, there are some very interesting developments going on. I wouldn't say that their software is useless, .NET fx. is an awesome peice of engineering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d0nju4n
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 283
Location: Rochester, MN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usability aside, looking glass is quite sexy indeed.
_________________
Linux User 355087
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:
HydroSan wrote:
[...] SUN Microsystems is pratically opening up every single flagship product to us (Solaris, Java, and now their new baby, Looking Glass), in an attempt to help both the Open Source community and themselves. I have to say that they have great courage opening up these technologies.
So they did release Solaris as open-source? Very cool...


SCO (Dun dun dunnnnn~...) is trying to hold it up in court with some sort of bullshit "we ownz joo" claim because they supposedly invested $10 some many years ago and just HAPPENED to remember it now. But Solaris will eventually get GPL'd because IBM is apparently helping out SUN (now there's a pairing I never though I'd see 8O ) with beating the shit out of SCO (yet again.)
SHWEET
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shash
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2003
Posts: 220
Location: India

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw of the screenshots, it would probably be cool on a large monitor (say, 19" or so) and high resolution (>=1024x768).

It should be nice for organising windows and keeping things that you're not using still visible, but thinner, even if they are parallaxed. Like chat windows and the like...

Hydrosan wrote:
...Solaris, Java, and now their new baby, Looking Glass...


You're forgetting Openoffice! ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solaris has not been GPL'ed yet.
1024x768 is not high resolution.

I'd love to try Looking Glass. It looks nice.

I would have thought that most of the forum members would have jumped on this since I have the impression that eye candy is the most important part of a system based on the numerous "Show your desktop' threads...
_________________
"I'd rather have a President who does it to a woman than one who does it to his country" -- Shirley Maclaine
Liberal (adj.): Free from bigotry; open to progress; tolerant of others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks cool, but what can you do with it that you can't do with X.org with Openbox? 3D isn't a panacea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HydroSan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 764
Location: The Kremlin (aka Canada)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
It looks cool, but what can you do with it that you can't do with X.org with Openbox? 3D isn't a panacea.


X's rendering is slow and horrible. For example, resizing windows in XOrg takes almost 40% CPU and higher at 1024x768. At 1600x1200 it's almost unbarable. Looking Glass is purely OpenGL-based, and uses Hardware > Software rendering.
_________________
I was a Gangster for Capitalism, by Major General Smedley Butler.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
X's rendering is slow and horrible. For example, resizing windows in XOrg takes almost 40% CPU and higher at 1024x768. At 1600x1200 it's almost unbarable. Looking Glass is purely OpenGL-based, and uses Hardware > Software rendering.


WTF are you using, KDE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HydroSan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 764
Location: The Kremlin (aka Canada)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
HydroSan wrote:
X's rendering is slow and horrible. For example, resizing windows in XOrg takes almost 40% CPU and higher at 1024x768. At 1600x1200 it's almost unbarable. Looking Glass is purely OpenGL-based, and uses Hardware > Software rendering.


WTF are you using, KDE?


GNOME 2.6.

And might I add, a pretty damn good system. AthlonXP 2500+, 1GB DDR400, nVidia GeForceFX 5600 256MB.
_________________
I was a Gangster for Capitalism, by Major General Smedley Butler.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum