Alpha install fails using 1.4rc1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Alpha install fails using 1.4rc1 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a PC164LX running debian woody. I will add now that in the past I have got the 1.4rc1 bootstap process to work, but now it barfs with

emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy: >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.36

this comes from scripts/bootstrap.sh following the standard installation instructions.

Any ideas? ... Oh ... after some further investigation ... I found the bootstrap script has being confused by an error message about SLOTMOVE ... so I hand coded the script to not use the "python -c 'import portage; ...' thing and the script did emerge python-2.0.50-r6 .... then it tried to emerge texinfo and barfed with an error message about "Key count Mismatch" ... Hmmm ... I see ... portage is changing under the ebuild script ... portage.dep_check has two arguements in the ebuild script in 1.4 ... and four arguements after the update... so the 1.4 is useless now .... could someone confirm this and I'm a python newbie

Cheers,
Jonathan Kelly.
MxA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Alpha install fails using 1.4rc1 Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

I've had some success (apart from trouble building a kernel that boots with MILO, but that's a different story) on my Alpha XLT-300 with the experimental 2004.0 livecd that sits in the /experimental/alpha/livecd directory. Burn it, boot it and install the latest stage1 from /experimental/alpha/stages.

Hope this helps,

Marnix.
jono338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn ... there goes my download allocation for the month!
jono338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Ha! I just found the stages in the experimental directory. Currenly running a build from stage1-alpha-20040313.tar.bz2.

Cheers,
Jonathan.
AS100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alpha install fails using 1.4rc1 Reply with quote

MxA wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

I've had some success (apart from trouble building a kernel that boots with MILO, but that's a different story) on my Alpha XLT-300 with the experimental 2004.0 livecd that sits in the /experimental/alpha/livecd directory. Burn it, boot it and install the latest stage1 from /experimental/alpha/stages.

Hope this helps,

Marnix.

Hi,

I had the similar problem as Jonathan.
merge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy: >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.36

It's an AlphaServer 1000A (EV4 4/266) and selected stage 1 installation. After that I went for stage1-alpha-20040313.tar.bz2 from 'experimental/alpha/stages' location. Now it's giving a number of 'error like' lines, mostly like:

/dev/null: no such file or directory
/dev/null/ebuilds.sh: no such file or directory

and 100s of
./configure: line184: /dev/null: No such file or directory

and finally:
/bin/sh: line 1: /dev/null: No such file or directory
KERNELRELEASE "2.4.21" exceeds 64 characters
make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 1

!!! ERROR: sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21 failed.
!!! Function kernel_universal_unpack, Line 97, Exitcode 2
!!! make include/linux/version.h failed

Any idea what how to fix that?

Thanks in advance!!!
SD
AS2100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: missing /dev/null Reply with quote

Hi,

After untaring the stage* tarball then do

> touch /mnt/gentoo/dev/null

It worked for me.

Matthew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: