Changing Network card module
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Changing Network card module Reply with quote

I installed my network driver as a module, it is a linksys card and I screwed up and am loading the 3com module..... how do I change my /etc/modules.autoload to load the tulip driver ???

ifconfig -a does not show the card.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
nano -w /etc/modules.autoload

Then remove the line you no longer want, and replace it with the new information.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Guinney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the file to load tulip but it fails to load on bootup... Is the module known by another name ?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 'tulip' is all you need (if you indeed have a card that uses the tulip driver), are you sure you compiled support for the module into your kernel? You may have compiled the support directly into the kernel (not as a module) in which case you won't need an entry in modules.autoload. In the menuconfig when you select the '*' that means it is directly/entirely in the kernel, where the 'M' means the kernel will build a module and will only support the device if the module is loaded.

Try following the network config on the build document (everything after the modprobe step) to see if maybe your kernel fully supports your card without a module. If your kernel doesn't support your card fully without a module you can try to find out what modules are available by snooping around.

Let me know if you need any more assistance (I'll need to remind myself where to snoop to see what network modules are available.)

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Guinney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pointed me to my error.... if I don't have to load a module at that point of the setup I shouldn't at the Final network configuration either ? (because I am building it in with the kernel ?)
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends. When you boot with the CD it may detect your card for you, however I am pretty certain it is using modules from the cd. However when you configured your kernel using the 'make menuconfig' (you did do this step already didn't you?) how did you compile support for your card? With a '*' or a 'M'? That will determine what you need to do to get your network card working. Also, of course, if you neglected to compile any kind of support for your card into your kernel you will not be able to use the network card until you rebuild the kernel with some type of support for it.

Let me know if that makes any sense!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble with modprobe tulip, I always have to insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-r9/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o, But if I compile it into the kernel, the problems go away since there is no more [auto]probing for the NIC.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: