GCC64 3.2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: GCC64 3.2? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the steps neccessary to try and build GCC 3.2 as a 64-bit compiler. I'm sure this will involve a recompile of Binutils and GCC, dunno about glibc, though. Judging by test compiles of the 2.4.20-pre6 kernel, something is broken in egcs64 that doesn't want to compile the 2.4.20-preX line, and whether this is fixable or not, I dunno.

I'd like to try GCC 3.2 as 64bit, maybe chip into Gentoo development and make an ebuild out of anything successful with it, I'm just not sure where to get started, and Google searches don't seem to turn up much information, except this one result: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-09/msg00116.html.

--Kumba
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: GCC64 3.2? Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the steps neccessary to try and build GCC 3.2 as a 64-bit compiler. I'm sure this will involve a recompile of Binutils and GCC, dunno about glibc, though. Judging by test compiles of the 2.4.20-pre6 kernel, something is broken in egcs64 that doesn't want to compile the 2.4.20-preX line, and whether this is fixable or not, I dunno.

I'd like to try GCC 3.2 as 64bit, maybe chip into Gentoo development and make an ebuild out of anything successful with it, I'm just not sure where to get started, and Google searches don't seem to turn up much information, except this one result: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-09/msg00116.html.

--Kumba

Hmmm..
If you plan to use a 64-bit version of gcc, please remember that the rest of your system needs to be compiled as 64-bit too. You can't easily mix and match unless there is support for doing so in the general libraries.

Don't try to compile 64-bit programs if you are running a 32-bit kernel. That's not going to work at all.

Erik
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: GCC64 3.2? Reply with quote

I'm aware of all of this. I was asking because egcs64 is a pretty out of date compiler...but it's apparently one of the only 64-bit GCC-class compilers out there. Linux kernel under sparc64 is built 64-bit by egcs64, but I was wonder if it is even remotely possible to build a gcc 3.2 64-bit cross compiler (I assume this is what would be needed, but again, I am not sure).

--Kumba

ebrostig wrote:
Kumba wrote:

--Kumba

Hmmm..
If you plan to use a 64-bit version of gcc, please remember that the rest of your system needs to be compiled as 64-bit too. You can't easily mix and match unless there is support for doing so in the general libraries.

Don't try to compile 64-bit programs if you are running a 32-bit kernel. That's not going to work at all.

Erik

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: