View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: GRUB and ReiserFS in 1.4-rc1 Reply with quote

I had a successful installation of 1.4-rc1 on an Athlon 600 Mhz last night, except that I couldn't get GRUB to recognise my ReiserFS partitions, including /boot. As it turns out, GRUB v0.9 never could... If this is true, perhaps someone should change the installation instructions accordingly or unmask a later version of GRUB. Since ReiserFS now seems to have Gentoo's blessing, I suppose a few other people will run into the same problem I had.

So I unmasked 0.9.2 and emerged it. GRUB - and I had geometry (hd0) check that - now acknowledges the existence of ReiserFS on both /boot and /, but in spite of my totally orthodox entry in grub.conf (which is replacing menu.lst in the new GRUB) I get dropped off at the GRUB shell prompt, no splashimage, no title, no kernel to boot. Manually loading the kernel and booting works up to a point, I get kernel panic for "VFS: cannot load root fs at 03.03", but that may be just a missing boot option.

Given the fact that I've religiously followed the installation guide in every respect except grub.conf vs. menu.lst (and just to make sure, I've even copied it over, so I have both now), does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Works for me.
Code:
$ emerge -s ^grub
sys-apps/grub
      Latest version available: 0.90-r7
      Latest version installed: 0.90-r7
$ mount
/dev/hda6 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange. 8O I thought 0.90 couldn't do that? Guess I fell for the wrong rumours... In case your German is a little rusty, this bloke Lumen claims that the patched 0.90 version of GRUB in Gentoo doesn't recognise ReiserFS, and he had to patch it himself to get it working. Does the link he gives make any sense to you?

But new or old, once it recognises the filesystem it really should work, though, shouldn't it? Why am I being dropped off at the "grub >" prompt instead of having it load my menu from grub.conf?

Last edited by plate on Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:02 am; edited 2 times in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the difference is that my /boot is ext2. Could this message shed any light? Would it be possible to change the filesystem on your /boot partition, if you are having problems?
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filesystem is now recognised at boot (had ReiserFS kernel support compiled as a module, duh :oops: ) so I'm not getting that dreadful
Code:
VFS: Unable to mount root FS at 03:03
kernel panic anymore, but the GRUB failure is still there. I'm not entirely sure I understand what that thread behind your link is all about, but it looks indeed as if GRUB doesn't get past stage1 as they say... Hm. Let's assume I don't get this to work, how do I safely change filesystems on my boot partition without ruining everything then? Move everything in /boot to somewhere safe, mke2fs /dev/hda1, move everything back, setup GRUB again, modify /etc/fstab, simple as that?

Last edited by plate on Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Hm. Let's assume I don't get this to work, how do I safely change filesystems on my boot partition without ruining everything then? Move everything in /boot to somewhere safe, make2fs /dev/hda1, move everything back, setup GRUB again, modify /etc/fstab, simple as that?

Sounds like a good plan to me.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a prob with grub and reiserfs when my /boot partition was reiserfs. Even after struggling with it extensively I was not able to get Grub to recognize reiserfs. Solved the problem by simply using ext3 on /boot instead. The problem with grub/reiserfs on a /boot partition should definitively be mentioned in the install docs.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
The problem with grub/reiserfs on a /boot partition should definitively be mentioned in the install docs.

I second that. And to close this thread, I've circumvented and effectively solved my problem by doing two things: Switched the /boot partition to ext2, and --- corrected the typo in the splashimage file name in menu.lst... :oops:
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since /boot is normally left unmounted in a "default" Gentoo install, and you're not going to be reading/writing to it all the time, it's probably overkill to use a journaling filesystem anyway. If I hose my grub configuration and need to get in there with a boot floppy (such as tomsrtbt which is very good), I'll want it to be ext2/3 - it doesn't support Reiser or XFS.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point, I hadn't thought about that. Doesn't really matter on a desktop, but I'll keep it in mind for my next notebook install: None of the Vaios around the house can boot from the Gentoo CD...
Bogo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using ReiserFS as my boot partition has always worked until now.
mikegr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem when I installed Gentoo 1.4rc
I 've already gentoo 1,2 installed and created a new reiserfs partition.
After the installtion I make a grub entry for the new system. At boot time I got the message "Error 17" that it cannnot recognize the type of the filesystem. After hours of trying to modify my menu.lst I backuped the partition and try to format again. I know it must work, because my gentoo 1.2 installation is also on a reiserfs partition and boots well.
But no success. Then I tried to format with the gentoo 1.4 bootcd. no success.
At last I took my old Gentoo 1.2 Boot-Cd, format the partition with mkreiserfs und NOW grub knows the filesystem type.

So my experience is that there is something wrong with the 'mkreiserfs' command. Maybe I' wrong, but if someone has problems with reiserfs and grub he should try to format with the gentoo 1.2 boot cd.

Any comments?
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea: can it be that grub works with reiserfs-3.5 but not with reiserfs-3.6?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
Just an idea: can it be that grub works with reiserfs-3.5 but not with reiserfs-3.6?

Not just an idea - a good idea. That would make a lot of sense. Among other things, the maximum size of a file in 3.5 was 4GB, and went up to (something really really big and at least a lot bigger than 12GB because I've got some files that big on a 3.6 reiserfs paritition) 17 TB in 3.6, so some internal file pointers must have gone from 32 to 64 bits.

Of course, if you've got >4GB files in your boot partition, maybe you should consider specifying some of those options as modules. :wink:
rebernd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegr wrote:

At last I took my old Gentoo 1.2 Boot-Cd, format the partition with mkreiserfs und NOW grub knows the filesystem type.

Same here. Thx you for your suggestion with the gentoo 1.2 boot-cd.
now it workls like a charm...

bernd
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a copy of grub from cvs and it seemed to identify the reiser partion fine. When booting I then got an "error 17" and grub would freeze up, not sure if this has anything to do with my using a cvs version or it's something unlrelated.

I've always liked grub but I ended up moving to lilo and it worked fine on the first try.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread has jumped up again, I would like to add that it shouldn't be necessary to use an old version of reiserfstools - 3.6 mkreiserfs supports the --format 3.5 option.
PlatinumCursor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had this problem, and instead of switching filesystems I just opted to emerge lilo and edit the lilo.conf to suit my needs and running /sbin/lilo. Maybe in a few months I will see if GRUB works for reiserfs.
ptheborg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the big day, finally I had some time to spent on reinstalling my laptop with the all new and fresh Gentoo 1.4rc1.

Everything went smoothly until I ran into the exact same problem. Fortunately there's a forum, and although this isn't an official support forum, it did help me :) .

First thing I did was formatting with mkreiserfs from the 1.4rc1 Livecd. Then doing root (hd0,0) within grub gave me an "filesystem unknown, type 83" error.

Then I tried mkreiserfs --format 3.5. Nice option, but it didn't work out for me. Grub still outputs the same error.

Before going back to ext2/3 on my boot partition, I gave the 1.2 install CD a try. And I've used mkreiserfs from that CD. Then I did a reboot with 1.4 and YES, it works. Grub detects the filesystem.

But then another problem showed up. Grub couldn't find stage1, stage2 and reiserfsStage1_5. DOH! It wasn't installed on my boot partition yet, but that's what I was trying to do. (with 1.2 grub installed automagically those files on /boot).
On the cdimage /boot there are all those stages of Grub so I've manually copied them to /boot/grub.........and yep, it works.

Now I can start my all new Gentoo Linux 1.4rc1 with reiserfs totally optimized for my laptop.

But I haven't figured out why Grub didn't install those stages by itself and why the --format 3.5 didn't make any difference.....but the old mkreiserfs did. Maybe the new reiserfstools aren't that mature yet.... :?

.NET is like a pet store written with gotos
JohnUdo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it worked for me when I simply emerged the new grub-0.92 you can find it in /usr/portage/sys-apps/grub - but not by searching with emerge -s
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it worked for me when I simply emerged the new grub-0.92

You're using Gentoo 1.4x, you made your /boot partition reiser, formatted it with the 1.4x CD and it worked with grub .92?
I tried this and it didn't work, even tried grub from cvs.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is just a shot in the dark, but how does grub recognizes partition type? Does it get the info from the partition table or from some magic number?

Maybe we could have two guys to post the output of their fdisk for a reiserfs partition, one that made grub work and another that didn t.
davasoft420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this will work cus i am having probs witht this too:

Quote:
kernel panic anymore, but the GRUB failure is still there. I'm not entirely sure I understand what that thread behind your link is all about, but it looks indeed as if GRUB doesn't get past stage1 as they say... Hm. Let's assume I don't get this to work, how do I safely change filesystems on my boot partition without ruining everything then? Move everything in /boot to somewhere safe, mke2fs /dev/hda1, move everything back, setup GRUB again, modify /etc/fstab, simple as that?

i am getting this error message:
    File system unknown, partition type 0x83

i am typing:
Code:
# root (hd0,2)

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments by rac and plate seem to suggest that it will.
blumley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Changing to ext2 Reply with quote

It worked for me :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: