Portage problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Portage problems Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what's in /var/db/pkg ?

I deleted the contents of that directory and now portage says crazy stuff when I ask emerge -up world. It lists about 80 packages, some of which I've never installed. Deleting /var/db/pkg is bad right? :oops:

Is there some way to regenerate that directory?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just the information of all installed packeges on your system, oooopppsss. :oops: (If you haven't installed any packages it should be correct).

'm one of the worst things you can do, at least you didn't do rm -rf / as root. Well trowing away data is much worse, cause restoring it ain't that easy as emerge -e world.

The directory contains the same structure as /usr/portage but in the subdirs the package are fully named: /var/db/pkg/sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.19/
then there are a lot of files inside that directory. If you inject a package into the system it only creates the directories, maybe you could do that but you lost all information of the installed files and there checksum so you should the n hope that all files on your system will be overwritten in time, cause unemerge doesnt' work, etc etc etc

Yes it's a bad thing.............sorry, what I should do, if nobody comes up with a way to regenerate (but I don't think this info is stored twice), is to get portage working (maybe mkdir /var/db/pkg wil do that) and do a emerge -e world and hope that works, don't do a rsync, cause maybe not all packages are rebuild if you do.....

Good luck, lX.
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great....
I wish I'd read that somewhere.

Hmmm.

So will inject add the correct stuff to /var/db/pkg ? If so, maybe I can go through the list of packages in world and do an inject?
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..... I'm starting to see the problem here.

I can't rebuild my machine, since I don't know what's on it, other than what's listed in /var/cache/edb/world

Is there any other location which will list my installed packages?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
So will inject add the correct stuff to /var/db/pkg ?

No, because it would have no way of knowing which files belong to which packages. I think "emerge glibc" and then "emerge -e world" is about the only hope.

Although it's a bit late now, I have a rule: only delete things that you fully understand the purpose of. If you're not sure whether something's safe to delete, just move it out of the way for a bit - rename it to pkg.jail or pkg.bad or something.
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not usually the one to delete stuff willy nilly, but I had no disk space and couldn't log in. No excuse I know.

The problem with emerge world is that it doesn't seem to remember what I installed. It's suggesting software I'm sure I hadn't installed. ( sys-apps/raidtools-0.90-r2 for example. )
It's a bit strange, emerge -e world doesn't list kde as a package to be built. Why is that I wonder??

BTW, If I know the version of gcc, why can't I just go
emerge -i sys-libs/glibc-2.2.5-r7
It adds the entry to /var/db/pkg ok. Is the problem that it won't know what file is owned by what package if I do an inject?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
Is the problem that it won't know what file is owned by what package if I do an inject?

Yep - there's a file CONTENTS in each of those directories that lists file names, md5 checksums and modification times for every file owned by the package.
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Thanks very much for your help. I'm about to go to bed.

I'll start

#emerge glibc; emerge -e world

then go to bed. Then I'll figure the rest out tomorrow.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: