WineX using 100% cpu but nothing happen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: WineX using 100% cpu but nothing happen Reply with quote

I just emerge winex and winsetuptk and everything looks fine.

when I try to start Diablo 2 i go this :

Code:
$winex --winver winxp -- /home/skeleton/.winex/fake_windows/Program\ Files/diablo2/Diablo\ II.exe
/dev/cdrom is not a directory, ignoring drive E:

I still dont understand why it give me the error for the cdrom ...

Code:
[Drive E]
"Path" = "/dev/cdrom"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CD-Rom"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
"Device" = "/dev/cdrom"

0 lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 13 Sep 12 10:52 /dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

for winex itself my cpu is at 100% all the time but the game never start it stay there without doing anything. What I did wrong ?

btw : Gentoo 1.2
kernel 2.4.19 (source)
maxpower
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: CDROM Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the only fix you need but your Path should be the path to where your CDROM gets mount (eg. /mnt/cdrom) not the actual device, that is what the Device stetment is for.

mAx
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx maxpower that did the trick.

but I still get 100% cpu and noting happen

here my output :
Code:

skeleton@atlas:~$winex --winver winxp -- .winex/fake_windows/Program\ Files/diablo2/Diablo\ II.exe
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
[/code]
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problem with both wine and winex. It took me some time to figure out that it had something to do with a recent kernel update I had made. So I downgraded kernel from 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 back to r7 and now everything runs perfectly.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I dont mind to downground a little bit but how do you downgrade for the kernel ????

I already have my config file for my kernel so it will take like 5 mins ...
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge the older version of the kernel. And before compiling it do:

Code:

rm /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/<your new kernel> /usr/src/linux
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't know about the r* and I have the same version as you 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 so ... is there something else I can do ???
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I try to download the 2.4.19 source from kernel.org and try back with that version and I still get the same problem.

my games are on ntfs partition from my win installation could that be my problem ?
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, how can I do this without breaking the forum rules...? WineX binary packages have support for copy protection, but the CVS version does not. You're either going to have to subscribe to TransGaming and get a binary package, or find some other way to get it working: the Diablo 2 forum in the CodeWeavers Wine application databese which you'll find at http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=74&versionId=49 should be of help; read their note on copy protection.

What Useful Idiot said about an older kernel being necessary might be true: I needed to switch to a vanilla kernel from my gentoo kernel in order to get Warcraft III working under WineX, but I also never got Diablo II working under Wine or WineX from CVS out of the box.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for Diablo and the expension pack so they are legit so I dont see your point for the copy protection ...

thx for the link I'll look at it and see if I can make it work. I try to download the cvs of winex but they are broken I got a make problem ...

As for the kernel this sucks badly ... anyways I think i'll keep my xp for gaming purpose and I wont pay for winex to make my game playable in linux I already paid for it and even if it is 15$ for 3 month...

thx for the help i really apreciate.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are legit too. It's just that, like I said, WineX CVS and Wine don't have copy protection support code, so if you try to run recent Blizzard games, for example, they'll think that the CD isn't actually in the drive and won't start. So you have to use a binary package, or find some other way to get it working, which you should find in that forum.

Good luck! I definitely know what it's like trying to get games to work under Wine(X)...
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see ok well still my problem is not the cd protection I dont get there ...

i let winex run in that mode for at least 30 mins so take some time (bullshit)

I try to run setup.exe from a game cd and still stuck there ...

I will try to download the cvs directly from transgaming and see if I can compiled it ... last time I got an error and cant install it
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I remove the winex i had install and downloaded the winex cvs ( not from portage). I succeded to build it and install it.

Now When I try to load wine I got that error :

Code:

skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$wine --managed --winver win98 -- c/Program\ Files/Diablo/Diablo\ II.exe
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$whereis libntdll.so
libntdll: /usr/local/lib/libntdll.so

I check in the config file but there is nothing about libntdll or libntdll.so.

ps: I remove the optimisation flag just to be sure
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_SkeLeToN_ wrote:
OK I remove the winex i had install and downloaded the winex cvs ( not from portage). I succeded to build it and install it.

Now When I try to load wine I got that error :

Code:

skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$wine --managed --winver win98 -- c/Program\ Files/Diablo/Diablo\ II.exe
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$whereis libntdll.so
libntdll: /usr/local/lib/libntdll.so

I check in the config file but there is nothing about libntdll or libntdll.so.

ps: I remove the optimisation flag just to be sure

Check the /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure there is a line in there saying:
/usr/local/lib
If not, add it and then as 'root', run 'ldconfig'

By adding the directory to this file and running ldconfig, it builds an internal path for the runtime linker so it knows where to look for all the dynamic libraries.

Then try to run the program again.

Erik
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx ebrostig that was it ... it was already in my ld.so.conf but i forgot to re-update with ldconfig thx.

Now another problem for a change.

when I try to start a game or a setup.exe i got an error :

Code:

skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$wine /mnt/games/SETUP.EXE
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-daewoo-gothic-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-160-ksc5601.1987-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-daewoo-mincho-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-160-ksc5601.1987-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-daewoo-mincho-medium-r-normal--24-170-100-100-c-240-ksc5601.1987-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-isas-fangsong ti-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-gb2312.1980-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-gb2312.1980-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like '-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--24-240-72-72-c-240-gb2312.1980-0' are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-mutt-clearlyu arabic extra-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-103-fontspecific-0' has unknown registry 'fontspecific' and character encoding '0'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-mutt-clearlyu devangari extra-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-111-fontspecific-0' has unknown registry 'fontspecific' and character encoding '0'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-mutt-clearlyu ligature-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-141-fontspecific-0' has unknown registry 'fontspecific' and character encoding '0'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look cursor-----12-120-75-75-p-160-sunolcursor-1' has unknown registry 'sunolcursor' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look glyph-----10-100-75-75-p-101-sunolglyph-1' has unknown registry 'sunolglyph' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look glyph-----12-120-75-75-p-113-sunolglyph-1' has unknown registry 'sunolglyph' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look glyph-----14-140-75-75-p-128-sunolglyph-1' has unknown registry 'sunolglyph' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look glyph-----19-190-75-75-p-154-sunolglyph-1' has unknown registry 'sunolglyph' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi mono-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi mono-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi mono-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi sans-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi sans-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi sans-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi sans-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi serif-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi serif-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi serif-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi serif-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry 'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
skeleton@atlas:~/.wine$

look like font problem or something ....
any idea ????????????

edit : I download the cvs version manualy 2002-09-14 around that
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there someone that can help me or should I look on a winex forum instead ?
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you *might* be having a similar problem to me. Just because it says Building font metrics... doesn't mean that it hasn't finished that and moved onto the next step (eg cd-rom) and stopped there.

I'm having trouble which I seriously think is cd-rom. Basically, the first time I run warcraft 3 it works, but after that it just hangs at 100% cpu every time I run it.
If I reboot again then it runs first time, after that fails.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally make it works by using the vanilla version of the kernel and using the wine-cvs version (masked one ) Diablo 2 and Counter-strike is working perfectly even the battle.net for D2 yeah ;)

I didn`t try warcraft 3 this is my next step...
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... I'm really jealous of your ability to connect to Battle.net
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was able with Diablo 2 but with starcraft when I click battle.net my windows go all fuck up ... I can`t see a thing .... and I dont know why diablo show properly and not starcraft ....
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
Nice... I'm really jealous of your ability to connect to Battle.net

How did you install warcraft III and apply patches?
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I updated my winex-cvs to 2.2 and my currect games works fine but when I try to install warcraft 3 from the SETUP.EXE it does nothing and go back to the prompt without any error in my terminal ...
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running install.exe from the CD instead of setup.exe.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: