Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
e-mail general clarification (courier-imap, postfix)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: e-mail general clarification (courier-imap, postfix) Reply with quote

If I understood correctly postfix is the service that gets the mail and also sends it? While courier-imap makes my mail accessible to me via imap. :)

I use getmail for getting my mail from pop accounts and it places it in maildirs (so far so good, now I found out it needs cur, new and tmp dirs to be considered a maildir ;) )

My question is can I let my setup deliver e-mail? I need it to use smtp over my isps smtp server (just like a mailprogram I run locally) since they block smtp servers, so I can't run my own.

Frankly this e-mail set-up is still very new to me and I could use some more info that goes beyong MTA, MTU and other lovely acronyms :| Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank You.

Harold
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest solution for you would be ssmtp, it is a *very* simple postfix style program, that can deliver all your non-local mail to a "smart-host" at your ISP. for local delivery it would either just dump it into /var/spool/mail/<username> or deliver it to cyrus/courier/uw ...

That "smart-host" is just the SMTP relay at your ISP, which is usually the send mail setting for normal programms ...
BackSeat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: e-mail general clarification (courier-imap, postfix) Reply with quote

Harold wrote:
My question is can I let my setup deliver e-mail? I need it to use smtp over my isps smtp server (just like a mailprogram I run locally) since they block smtp servers, so I can't run my own.
If I understand you correctly you want your setup to send (not deliver) email (it should already deliver it). You can do this in postfix by setting the 'relayhost' parameter in /etc/postfix.main.cf to point to your ISP's SMTP server.

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to do please let me know.

BS
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: