View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Musicians Reply with quote

I know KiTaSuMbA is a musician. And also french tony. I'm a musician myself.
Any other Gentoo musician out there?
What are your experiences? What soft are you using?
Are you a [frustrated] win user, at last to some extent, using VST or any other non-linux technology?
Are you a Gentoo-only musician? If that last is true... HOW DO YOU DO IT??

How about a Gentoo-for-musicians effort, with tips, ebuilds ad hoc, share music, share ideas, making collective music, etc?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know OpenBSD has a tradition of releasing a song alongside the OS.

What are the chances we could convince some Gentoo musicians to do the same?
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Musicians Reply with quote

lanark wrote:
How about a Gentoo-for-musicians effort, with tips, ebuilds ad hoc, share music, share ideas, making collective music, etc?

Let me get started with that bag of gold (errr, apps) I downloaded and I'll give feedback on both good and bad events... HW and SW configuration and perhaps a HOW-TO for using some of the apps.
About sharing music: how about making a "The Gentoo Soundtrack: emerging music" CD? Catchy title... It doesn't necessarily have to be of a definite style, but contributions of gentoo musicians.

Actually metalhead was asking for suggestions over soundcards for HD recording with his band, so I guess you can count him too.

Edit: a technicality: I believe the most appropriate licensing for such an effort would be OSL (Open Sound License) - in-tune with Free Software!
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Musicians Reply with quote

lanark wrote:
Are you a [frustrated] win user, at last to some extent, using VST or any other non-linux technology?

I'm a guitar player, I use VST on a winXP box, I'm not THAT frustrated about it, although I'm kinda VERY attracted to a MacOSX solution at the moment ...
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers!!

Lovechild: May be your idea can be mixed with KiTaSuMbA's "emerging music" CD.

KiTaSuMbA: About that CD, I'll be glad to see it made!!, let's do it!! But I want to point something: any member that contributes a track must do it under Gentoo ONLY, and must submit a journal of the making; what do you think?
About the HW and SW matter, let's make a list, so we can begin to document and sort the things a little.
About the OSL denomination... I saw that it's a somehow used term, for other things... may be OML (Open Music License) is more original and more accurate. That may be the begin of an artistic collaboration on the fashion of the Open Source manner. Let's search for another similar effort that may exist.
[EDIT] Oh oh... the OML alredy exists... but is not what are we looking for... http://jazzbond.soundhome.cz/OML.html

chrispy: I'm not pointing to VST (which is a very good system) with the term "frustration", but to the "win" side of it. BTW, I'm interesed with OSX too, may be our dreams come true and Apple release an OSX for AMD some day...
And you are invited to contribute with your music and ideas!
So, with you, I can make a list of musician members:
    KiTaSuMbA
    chrispy
    lanark
    [french tony]
    [metalhead]

the last two, without confirmation of participating on our project... let us see what do you think, guys!!
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any member that contributes a track must do it under Gentoo ONLY, and must submit a journal of the making

This is a tough challenge but I generally appreciate challenges, plus... it's only appropriate!

Quote:
About the HW and SW matter, let's make a list, so we can begin to document and sort the things a little.

I think the imperative ones are "configuring kernel and soundcards for music: tips & tricks", "creating and using LADSPA plugins", "Using rosegarden" and perhaps "Csound exemplified"

The OSL: I was refering to an existing license although it turns out I did not remember the acronym correctly. It's called Open Audio License (OAL) and is sponsored by EFF ( http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html ). What do you think of that?
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
It's called Open Audio License (OAL) and is sponsored by EFF ( http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html ). What do you think of that?

THAT'S what exactly I was thinking. I find OAL more tha appropriate for our purposes. And the EFF site and docs are quite good, also...

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
I think the imperative ones are "configuring kernel and soundcards for music: tips & tricks", "creating and using LADSPA plugins", "Using rosegarden" and perhaps "Csound exemplified"

Those items are a very good starting point, I'm putting in order some things for post some others.

I was dealing with installing Ardour and compiling CSound with ALSA 0.9 native support. I'll sort my notes and put them here as well. Also watching for some software that Dave Phillips mentions on an interview at mstation site [http://www.mstation.org/dphillips.html].
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a musician and I have found little-to-no software that fits my needs on Linux. I use Finale in the Win/Mac world but there really isn't anything comparable in Linux. Luckily I don't need software to be a musician (unlike what seems to be the trends of the last few musician threads in the forums).
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizen wrote:
Luckily I don't need software to be a musician (unlike what seems to be the trends of the last few musician threads in the forums).

That depends on the kind of music you make. If you are onto the avant-garde electroacoustic side, or even onto the electronic/experimental/dance scene, you must use a computer, to some degree or another.

About the notation editor you're searching for, may be Denemo + Lilypond [http://denemo.sourceforge.net/] [http://lilypond.org/stable/] or Rosegarden [http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/] are good for you.

Last edited by lanark on Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look at google shows some interesting sites
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/one-page.html
http://linux-sound.org/
http://sound.condorow.net/
http://www.linuxsound.at/
http://www.xdt.com/ar/linux-snd/ (cool penguin band)
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Multimedia/Music_and_Audio/MIDI/Software/Linux/

Personally I've done all my work in windows, just because that was more available to me at the time. Currently I don't do much anymore, but I would be willing to contribute one or two of my midi tracks to the cause. Is this what you are looking for?
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Denemo + Lilipond might do the trick for me. Rosegarden looks nice but requires KDE so that's out of the question. I wonder what percentage of the musicians here in the forums are electronic musicians versus acustical musicians. However, that's an unfair grouping. I know a bunch of people that are technically electronic musicians (because they use midi) but perform like acustical musicians (because they use midi sensors in combination with traditional percussion techniques).
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Linux = currently no good for my music Reply with quote

I'm both a DJ and a producer of electronic music...I use Propellerheads' Reason and Logic Pro Audio, primarily; nothing even close is available for Linux, sadly. I'm working on saving up for a rockin' Mac, though, so that I don't have to run said apps under Windows, and can totally demolish that Windows parition on my drive...but...Macs are so expensive =\ But OSX Jaguar...so pretty... =)
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux = currently no good for my music Reply with quote

Kesereti wrote:
I'm both a DJ and a producer of electronic music...

Well!!
If you want to join the party, be welcomed, and if you want to afford the challenge, contribute with any thing you want to our modest gentoo-musicians group.

Same for pizen and iplayfast (yes, a midi file is very welcome, we can begin a collaborative piece with it, respecting the OAL licence -read above-).
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux = currently no good for my music Reply with quote

Quote:
Same for pizen and iplayfast (yes, a midi file is very welcome, we can begin a collaborative piece with it, respecting the OAL licence -read above-).

Well, I've got a wide range of styles. What would be the most approriate?
8) honky-tonk
8O starwars bar music style
:x classical piano (the most extensive but probably the wrong crowd)
:roll: dramatic war theme (hmm)
:P silly dance music
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux = currently no good for my music Reply with quote

iplayfast wrote:
Well, I've got a wide range of styles. What would be the most approriate?

What you like more, man... anyway we can transforme it into something new and unexpected! ;-)

It's nice to see such a versatile musician!
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizen wrote:
Rosegarden looks nice but requires KDE so that's out of the question.

It doesn't require KDE, only the KDE/Qt libraries... you can run it on whatever wm you want, providing you have that libraries.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanark wrote:
It doesn't require KDE, only the KDE/Qt libraries... you can run it on whatever wm you want, providing you have that libraries.

Right, it requires the KDE-Libs...which I have no interest in installing. I have Qt installed but I run a KDE and Gnome-free box and I plan on keeping it that way.
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, hey, hey,

lanark,
count me in. and we can add electroaccoutic to the style list. i'dlove to contribute a track for a gentoo cd! cound instruments with common music (lisp) generated scores is what i am working on at the moment. next is snd and clm on my list.

:P

so yes, lets get on the case!
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, hey, hey,

lanark,
count me in. and we can add electroaccoutic to the style list. i'dlove to contribute a track for a gentoo cd! cound instruments with common music (lisp) generated scores is what i am working on at the moment. next is snd and clm on my list.

:P

so yes, lets get on the case!
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux = currently no good for my music Reply with quote

lanark wrote:

What you like more, man... anyway we can transforme it into something new and unexpected! ;-)

So, let me see if I've got this right. We are adding a music track to the Gentoo ISO, so that people can play the Gentoo theme song (or something), after they've done the install?

That sounds rather cool. Where do I send them?
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops, i got too excited and my finger slept....
sorry for the double post.....
mind that might be a good way to bump my post count, and eventually progress upwards from newbie :twisted:
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quest continues...
I'm currently installing the whole shee-bang of apps... Rosegarden is nice but way too touchy (it crashes way too easily).
In the proccess, I'm writing a "tips&tricks" so that I don't forget what glitches I meet and how (if) I overcome them.

iplayfast: some answers. My initial idea is that of an actual CD with contributed tracks (as well as a putative title :wink: ). We can also make the installation-complete track but this will have to be done in a less cooperative manner (how could we merge so many styles in just one track). On that specific track the cooperation would follow the idea of lanark to provide colectively some .mids and samples and try assembling...
To get this to a practical level, I suspect that the best path of action would be an ftp, with "home" folders for each ones track, a pool directory for shared bits & bytes that might help (.mids, samples, etc) and the installation track folder where we can submit our proposals as <nick>-installtrack.<mp3/ogg> plus a docs one for our various tips&tricks. The obvious next question is where exactly would that ftp service be available... but I say we do hove time... I'm not even done installing .
Cheer up people!
Gentoo is going LOUD! 8)
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the ftp. We could 'remix' or amalgamate each others bits of sound and music and end up with lots of merged tracks....

That would a lot of fun.
When do we start?

Ps: we could sell a cd of all tracks, and send the money to Gentoo? well, of course it wouldn't be a huge contribution, but it would be a nice gesture.......
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ps: we could sell a cd of all tracks, and send the money to Gentoo? well, of course it wouldn't be a huge contribution, but it would be a nice gesture.......

Extra thoughts...
Since the CD would be designed to "push" Open Source, we are converging on the OAL licensing scheme (check it out on the EFF link in a previous post). Of course the CD could be made available Hard Copy (leaflet and all), and I'm all for contributing the (earnings - production costs) to the gentoo people.
Lanark seems to know the ways of such things (he already sells his stuff on his site) so he perhaps could give us useful info.

BTW, lanark: your music page crashes both opera and phoenix :( (is it some kind of flash or java?)
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
The quest continues...
I'm currently installing the whole shee-bang of apps... Rosegarden is nice but way too touchy (it crashes way too easily).
In the proccess, I'm writing a "tips&tricks" so that I don't forget what glitches I meet and how (if) I overcome them.

Keep us posted. I'm going to follow sometime in the future, and it's nice having a trailblazer! Maybe your tricks and tips could become part of the offical Gentoo documentation.

As far as sending stuff to an ftp, that's fine with me. Contributions to gentoo is fine too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: