dhcpcd problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthDam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: dhcpcd problems Reply with quote

Hi

When i boot from a basic1.2 iso image dhcpcd works nicely (with the occasinal error message), and my computer gets an ip. When i boot from a basic 1.4, or a 1.4 stage 3 installation, dhcpcd hangs for a while, and returns without any message, and my computer hasn't got an ip (and no network connect).

If i try manually to assign 10.0.0.3 via ifconfig (setting up static ip) and up's the NIC, it gets upped, but network is unreachable.

I have MB mounted a realtek 8139 type NIC, on a celeron 4 1.7.

Any help/info appreciated.

kr. ld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: realtek 8139 module compiled and available to kernel? Reply with quote

I'm sure that you've thought about this, but just in case, are you sure that a workable NIC module is available to the kernel?

/Paul
DarthDam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess when it says 'loading module 8139too - OK' at boot time means that the 8139too NIC module is loaded.

lsmod also says '8139too' is loaded.

kr. ld
Proteus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problems with my Netgear FA311 card.
When using the 1.4 boot-cd it works - or not. You never know. I sometimes have to reboot multiple times and then it suddenly works.

Until now I was almost convinced that the card ist defect and I have to replace it (good that it came with 5 years warrany :-) )
tomkamphuys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. With install disk 1.2 I can dhcpcd and get my IP. But with the 1.4 system, dhcpcd doesn't work. I've opened a thread on the newby forum (few problems after new install), but the problem still hasn't been solved.
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomkamphuys wrote:
Same problem here. With install disk 1.2 I can dhcpcd and get my IP. But with the 1.4 system, dhcpcd doesn't work. I've opened a thread on the newby forum (few problems after new install), but the problem still hasn't been solved.

After I tried to boot with the 1.4 rc 1 stage 1 boot cd and saw that only few nics were supported (my realtek wasn't among them :( ) I just took the 1.2 boot cd (stage 1) together with the 1.4 rc 1 tarball. And to my pleasure, everything worked just like it was supposed to :) Fortunately, you have those possibilities with Gentoo!!!
Proteus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my problem persists not only when using a boot cd but also when the system is finally installed...
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered another problem with the latest dhcp client from the unstable branch. Sometimes when shutting down the computer, dhcp crashes on shutdown freezing the whole computer ...
tomkamphuys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@erivile: That's just what I did because the 1.4 cd doesn't support RAID. Everything installed perfectly, but now when I use the base system, I'm unable to get my IP address via DHCPCD. Even the -d options doesn't give any info....
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomkamphuys wrote:
@erivile: That's just what I did because the 1.4 cd doesn't support RAID. Everything installed perfectly, but now when I use the base system, I'm unable to get my IP address via DHCPCD. Even the -d options doesn't give any info....

That's really odd, as the system I installed with the 1.2 - 1.4 combination also has that realtek 8139 chip mentioned in the first thread. And dhcpcd works without any problems, at least I haven't found any 8O
tomkamphuys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem. It had something to do with APIC. I added the 'noapic' to the line with kernel and root in menu.lst That did it.
DarthDam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the problem solved! :D

I had two issues i tried to fix in one go; one with grub not finding the menu.lst file, and then the dhcp problem. I mention both things i did in case they should have interference with each other:

Getting my grub to boot: did a hard link from grub.conf to menu.lst (probably nothing to do with the dhcp problem, but since i modified this at the same time i did the other stuff i better mention it)

I found that my USB device had an IRQ conflict with my NIC, using cat /proc/pci. Then i compiled the kernel w/o USB support (I need to fix this later when i'm gonna use USB)

I also had to add 'noapic' to the root and kernel lines in grub.conf, e.g.:

root (hd0,0) noapic
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 noapic

I found the 'solutions' around here in the forum, my problem was that i had to combine the things in order to get them to work.

kr. ld

p.s. I used a 1.2 boot iso to install 1.4 from, otherwise i couldn't get my NIC to work. I also used a vanilla kernel.
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows how to fix it keeping USB support please post it. I'm having the same problem, but have a no-legacy motherboard (only USB for keyboard/mouse).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: