Strange happenings while emerging waimea 4.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Strange happenings while emerging waimea 4.0 Reply with quote

I decided to try waimea 4.0 and did and I did an an emerge -p waimea.

the depencies listed were edb, freetype and imlib2. I thought cool...I'll emerge these packages and take a short nap. When I wake up it will have all been done. However this was not the case....in fact I woke up to find that for some reason, my machine was compiling xfree, and glibc and gcc (not at the same time of course) I didnt issue a command for this so I dont know why this happened. My system is fine but I am wierded out.

This is what I typed to emerge waimea 4.0

Code:
emerge edb -u freetype imlib2 waimea && date (so I could see what time it finished)

Can anyone venture to guess why my machine would have rebuilt xfree using the above command?

Thanks
C
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see. your command:

Code:
emerge edb -u freetype imlib2 waimea && date

since you put the -u in front of "edb", it treated edb as options even though there is no '-' in front of them (try tar xvf foo.tar).

Since the "e" option is for "emptytree" it started building every single dependancy for your programs like freetype. Thats where your xfree, glib, and gcc builds popped up from.

rectify this situation by using this command:

Code:
emerge edb; emerge -u freetype imlib2 waimea; date

(the ; means the next command will be executed even if the previous ones fail, sometimes good for unattended machines, && means the next command (like date) wont be executed if the previous one fails)

Hope i could help.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! now I know. I will definitely try that next time using the ; instead of an &&.

I figured that since the -u freetype was after the edb it would be okay. I guess I should have waited just a little bit before I took a nap.

Thanks for the information. I really do learn something new everyday.

Chickpea
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: