The Genzine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: The Genzine Reply with quote

The Genzine.

A community built webzine and magazine on all things Gentoo, with an updates CD (sources and binaries!) distributed with the magazine so that all those poor people who can't get decent bandwidth can update their machines much less painfully.

The zine features user submitted and in-house reviews of all kinds from games to mail servers, from mice to memory. It also serves as a platform for promoting lesser-known software that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Articles can give tutorials and tips on how to make the most of your Gentoo system, and a repository of typical errors and fixes which are archived in the webzine and the updates published in the magazine.

Then there's the highlight, "Daniel's Diary" where DRobbins let's us know his highlights and lowlights of the past month and future plans for Gentoo.

Alas, it is all fictional, but it would be oh so good. Plus the magazine would bring in some funds for gentoo.org.

I know I'd buy it.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
bpkri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it really bring funds? Or would it rather cost - I mean it still would have to be printed. The idea sounds nice, but how to distribute it? How many people out there use gentoo anyways? and how far are they scattered over the world (to US residents: Sorry, but the world does not end at the boundaries of the United States ;) - no real offense meant)?
How many gentoo users do not have a decent connection to the net?

Sadly too many questions which would lead to answers which would make such a project rather risky... or the Genzine rather expensive.
:( :( :(
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no market for this...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to rain on your parade, but while I think the concept is a good one, it's impractical given the cost to produce a magazine and the limited marketplace to which it would be targeted.

Now, an online-only genzine might be more practical...

--kurt
bpkri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOEE!! Yes I want that!!
When do we start? 8O
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: For the magazine Reply with quote

Obviously the price would have to cover distribution and printing costs.

Perhaps that would make it too expensive. But I'm sure for some guy in New Zealand on a modem (there's was one on #gentoo just today!), paying $8 for a magazine that comes with all the sources/binaries of updated packages would be a dream.

If you lived closer to where it was printed it would be cheaper.

I dunno, maybe you're right, maybe there isn't a market. But you would need some suitable polls on the front of gentoo.org for that to be estimated.

PS. I'm from the UK.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's all nice and beautiful, but i like the gentoo just like it is ...no budget :)
don't get me wrong, i would accept the zine and i think it's a great idea, but i think any linux distro should be without any chances of becoming comercial ...sorry
...but the zine idea is great :)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg: My best advice is to meet a linux sysadmin on your local university (free hi-speed internet) and convince him/her to install Gentoo, then burn the source he/she downloaded on a cd and off u go... :)

p.s. : Seriously now, the cost for making a official mag is quite big and I don't think that it is even viable on world-wide distribution. Maybe a fanzine thing is more sane solution, or even better a webzine w/ all the features u mentioned minus the cd-rom...

.:: zen ::.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with zen_guerilla on this one.
I'd really love to see a gentoo-only zine with lots of stuff like reviews, news, tips etc. but a "dead-tree" one poses serious problems. Apart from the cost/revenue and distribution issues (you could go for a subscription-only model instead of general kiosk type) there are very serious organization problems. Have you tried to print even a school newspaper? Things can get messy and hard to keep rolling... Thus, I wouldn't go for a printed version -at least not yet. But, yeah, an e-zine could be really cool.
mezz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice idea. It's all possible, but not sure how start it from stratch. You can start out small magazine like 2600 (www.2600.com). Maybe, can ask 2600 or different place how to get start or whatever. Like, klieber said to start on-line for now with collect the donation. Maybe, pre-order will help the funds too? I think, pre-order can help with the fund when you have the enough to make/buy the prints, but if you don't get enough pre-order then it might hurt.

BTW: I am willing to buy, even thought I haven't tried Gentoo Linux (might install Gentoo tonight or tomorrow). I always enjoy read posts/replies/news about Gentoo Linux, than another Linux distro. I get SysAdmin, Linux Journal, Daemon News and others monthly. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: