emerge + "new app versions"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: emerge + "new app versions" Reply with quote

if i type in
emerge apache

he is trrying to emerge the old ver (1.3 .something)

so i have to type in
emerge apache-2.0.43.ebuild

and then it works... is'nt there a way where emerge looks for the newest ver it self?
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you be so sure that it's a "he"? :P

However, methinks that portage by default installs the "Latest stable version". It probably thinks that version 1 is the current "stable", and version 2 is the spankin' new thats not done yet. :wink:

--
Regards,
Helmers
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is'nt there a way where emerge looks for the newest ver it self

It does. But Portage supports the concept of "masking" which will effectively make a newer ebuild invisible to Portage. Why? Because allowing newer builds to gratuitiously install on your system before adequate testing would be an absolute disaster.

Apache 2.0 is very new and is definitely considered experimental. It has only just been announced "production stable", and needs further testing before the Gentoo folks unleash it as a default "newest available version". Most people (including me), want to use Apache 1.3 when they type emerge apache. Nor would I be very pleased if I typed emerge -u world then found that my Apache 1.3 had been trounced in favour of the (not exactly compatible) Apache 2.0!!!

For these reasons, I think Apache 1.3 will remain the default build for some time yet. If you want to use it that's fine, but make sure you check the file /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask. See this:
Code:
# <carpaski@gentoo.org> (12 Sep 2002)                                           
# Masked for testing                                                           
>=net-www/apache-2.0.0

Insert a # in front of the line referencing the apache=2.0.0 build. That way you can just use emerge in the usual fashion, and it won't downgrade your apache if you try to emerge it again.

EDIT: these changes will be the lost the next time you rsync, bear that in mind!
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:idea: Just a note:

I read something on Apache 2 and it seems that it doesn't / can't handle mod_php and mod_ssl yet, so I didn't install it, for just your plain html pages it should be a fine piece of enginering... 8), although I'm not sure what the gain is on a linux system. Seems like major changes are for Windows users (threads instead of processes). If it will handle mod_php and is stable with this feature I will upgrade, because that's just the guy I'am, :wink:
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was reading about it too on in a nice series of articles in the most recent Linux Magazine over here. The interesting feature was the new abstraction layer which apparently stops it from being so innately POSIX oriented. Instead, the layer will handle more generic requests from Apache to channel into the OS. Sounds good in principle, as long as it doesn't add too much overhead it should enable better optimisation and easier porting for more platforms ...
skuld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
:idea: Just a note:

I read something on Apache 2 and it seems that it doesn't / can't handle mod_php and mod_ssl yet,

mod_php4 can be installed with apache 2, but you must reinstall it, configure it while the ./configure or make phase to compile as an apache 2 module. But mod_php has a very bad sessions support with apache2 (a forum like this one doesn't work flawlessly)

about mod_ssl, apache 2 has it's own ssl engine.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skuld wrote:

mod_php4 can be installed with apache 2, but you must reinstall it, configure it while the ./configure or make phase to compile as an apache 2 module. But mod_php has a very bad sessions support with apache2 (a forum like this one doesn't work flawlessly)

about mod_ssl, apache 2 has it's own ssl engine.

Maybe I'll give it a try after my rebuild script finishes (includes sun j2sdk from source and openoffice, but maybe I will throw the last one out), yes I read something about mod_ssl being included, forget it though, thanks for your input,

Cya lX.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried it, after fiddling around making custom ebuilds, but mod_php is not usable yet, well not in my case anyway and apparently the php team is waiting for the apache 2.0 api to stabilize.

Cya lX.
skuld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's usable here on a FreeBSD server : http://www.goddess-gate.com/fake_error

But I didn't try on a GNU/Linux box
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could some things with it, but not all things were working, seems to be some problems, phpinfo worked great, but squirrelmail didn't so I did some reading and the squirrelmail states that apache 2 and php don't work for everything (apache 2 api needs to stabelize for the php team to get really cracking at it). Got some strange errors with squirrelmail about a file that was there and readable, but php couldn't find/read it, so I just wait some more, besides apache 1.3.27 handles everything fine, but well If there's a later version and it has the same features I will use it, cause that's just the guy I am,

Cya lX :wink:
skuld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Got some strange errors with squirrelmail about a file that was there and readable, but php couldn't find/read it

There's a known problem with PHP 4.2.3 (and only this version) and Apache 2.0.x : relative path access doesn't work. This is corrected in the PHP-CVS version.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, seems I have to rebuild apache and php then,....... cause that is the exact problem (../foo/bar not readable), wel maybe later today, thkx for the advice

apache 2.0 here I come, ;-)

Thkx,

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: