Microsoft is not allowed to do what?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Microsoft is not allowed to do what? Reply with quote

Outlook Express blocks Adobe PDF files

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft is not allowed to do what? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

And you are surprised because.... ? :twisted:

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said I was surprised?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me is that people still uses this bloody Outlook, even they knowing it is the easiest way to get a virus.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not... the same people probably use everything else labled MS as well.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
P-Nuts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft is not allowed to do what? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

A friend of mine had difficulties when he couldn't work out how to open a Word attachment to an email -- it was being blocked in case it was unsafe. It wouldn't even let him save the attachement to disk.

So if MS are blocking their own stuff too, it can't be sinister.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft is not allowed to do what? Reply with quote

Well, maybe we can call it ironic 8)

P-Nuts wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

A friend of mine had difficulties when he couldn't work out how to open a Word attachment to an email -- it was being blocked in case it was unsafe. It wouldn't even let him save the attachement to disk.

So if MS are blocking their own stuff too, it can't be sinister.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for the Microsoft masterboot record too block access to the MS OS. That's what I call safe, maybe a good idea for there so called trusted platform (Palladium), :wink:

Cya lX.
cptnoskill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Still waiting for the Microsoft masterboot record too block access to the MS OS. That's what I call safe, maybe a good idea for there so called trusted platform (Palladium), :wink:

Cya lX.

... The application ("Microsoft Windows XP"), is unsafe, and will not be loaded. Please refer to the help center for more information. The application type you have choosen to run ("Operating System") are often nontrustworthy (examples of untrustworthy OS's "Most Unix based systems") Microsoft Windows .Net 2004 is an example of a trusted OS, Please update to Microsoft Windows .Net 2004 to insure the proper operation of you're system. Select Yes, to allow automatic payment for the required update.
(note only one option)--> |yes|

: :? :P :twisted:
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It blocks .pdf (and .doc appareantly) but allows .exe and .vbs?
I think i just lost a few iq points,
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
It blocks .pdf (and .doc appareantly) but allows .exe and .vbs?
I think i just lost a few iq points,

Didn't you hear of all those virusses spread by outlook, ofcourse it can't be microsoft's fault, 'mmmm let's block pdf, the virusses are probably spread by pdf files, yes that's it...........

no vbs and exe are very secure it's designed by microsoft, if it ain't a bug it's a feature. :wink:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
it ain't a bug it's a feature.
I actually witnessed a funny exchange of comments between an engineer and the President of a company over this very thing (bug/feature). Was a company meeting where the President was describing something as a feature. The engineer in the meeting said it was a bug, and described why (briefly). The President reiterated that it was a feature. The engineer's response was simply "Bug". Was very funny, in part because the engineer didn't usually speak up in such a manner. Helped that the President was an ass.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I actually witnessed a funny exchange of comments between.............

That's why it's bad desgin to have lots and lots of features...... :wink:
Now I get it feature=bug. Wel a programm that doesn't do anything is therefore bug free.........eurica, what have I done all those years. That's why the boss is so cross with me....

Cya lX. :lol:
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft is not allowed to do what? Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Uncheck: Tools>Options>Security>[ ] Do not allow attachments to by saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. What a moron invented this shit (I mean Outlook).

Tryied Outlook one week and going back to mozilla.
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
What surprises me is that people still uses this bloody Outlook, even they knowing it is the easiest way to get a virus.

Please note that not everybody is a computer freak like linux users. They only want to insert one disk and do what the installer tells them. And if they have a email-program build in (Outlook Express) then they use it. I don't use Outlook neither MS Office, cause I have other programs under windows I can use, for example TheBat! as email-client and Openoffice for opening MS documents (I prefer tex ;-).
I love OpenSource Software. But normal users don't know that something like this exist (ok, they know eMule ;-). I tried to bring opensource software to some "normal users", but often they can't use it, cause its not intiutiv to use. I mean that they have to know what a directory is and so on. Don't laugh now. There are enough users who don't know these facts. If OpenSource wants to "kill" MS, then it has to be useable for these "stupid" users. And if I think about MS policy, it makes me ill. I hate this company!!

The only alternative I know is Linux. I can use it, but normal users not :-(.

PS: Sorry about my lack of english skills.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hakan wrote:
Please note that not everybody is a computer freak like linux users. They only want to insert one disk and do what the installer tells them. And if they have a email-program build in (Outlook Express) then they use it.

Yea, I know what you mean, but they could atleast not make the address book scriptable! very easy I am assuming, I know how to use // around code ;) I should get hired by ms... yea right.
Quote:
I love OpenSource Software. But normal users don't know that something like this exist (ok, they know eMule ;-). I tried to bring opensource software to some "normal users", but often they can't use it, cause its not intiutiv to use. I mean that they have to know what a directory is and so on. Don't laugh now. There are enough users who don't know these facts. If OpenSource wants to "kill" MS, then it has to be useable for these "stupid" users. And if I think about MS policy, it makes me ill. I hate this company!!

Try giving this to your friends and see how they like it. Personally 7zip rules on windows, much better than winzip anyday.
and mozilla 1.2 is very fast now on windows. I see moz / netscape (what ever new version is) that is gonna take back some of the wonderful that is market share :mrgreen:

If someone like (Dude joke here) Dell decides to include some of these programs, we may see a fazing out of ms, until .NET 2004 and it's requred hardware built in forcing of update upon the masses starts. Image, your new harddrive won't work with fdisk, and the mbr holds an uneraseable thing that automatically charges your credit card every time you boot linux.... :cry:
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right.

And of cause I am using Mozilla (and Opera 7 beta looks nice too). Using IE is the same than using Outlook and Windows.
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:
Image, your new harddrive won't work with fdisk, and the mbr holds an uneraseable thing that automatically charges your credit card every time you boot linux.... :cry:

You mean once...

Thanks for the tip on 7-Zip. Installed here @ work, awaiting an opportunity to use it... (I have some Open Source files tar'd up, they'll do!)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: