Lots of things NOT working.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smileypete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Lots of things NOT working. Reply with quote

To maintainers of packages...
:? I have a recommendation, put a STABLE flag in the make.conf file and your packages. Also, just out of curiosity, is there a way for package maintainers to see what packages are dependant on theres?

I have 2 machines with gentoo installed. And both of them are giving me hell. The first is one I've had running for a while.
I did a:

emerge -u world
It bombed when it hit gtk-perl. There is a fix for it listed in this forum but it requires me to go to an older version of a lib. Which kind of precludes using "emerge -u world". The jury is still out on this one. I'm sure more packages will bomb. Theres also abiword....but i refuse to list something that takes more than one hand to count problems on.

The other machine is a fresh install. These are the packages that don't emerge properly so far:
vim-6.1-r15 - missing a dependancy
gnome-2.0.2 - emerges fine but won't start

This is a question that doesn't need an answer because I already know the answer. How many of the maintainers of this distro thoroughly test their packages? It seems like everyone is content to go on autopilot and run this distro into the ground. I don't use an OS because I like to spend unreasonable amounts of time trying to figure out how to get around glitches and bugs, that's why I don't use certain other OSes anymore.

This is the best distro I've used to date. But something is wrong.

Sincerely,
A Concerned User

Last edited by smileypete on Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running one gentoo (unstable KEYWORD="~x86") computer and it's been running gentoo for quite some time now, although i've had a few problems these were always fixed when doing a emerge rsync (mostly digest missing). This is just a positive note from a very happy user.

I've run the normal gentoo stable branch for a while, but it got boring, cause I had very little to do, it just worked (don't you hate that ;-) ).
I've had some problems, because I'm using bleeding edge (immediatly used gcc-3.x when it came out etc), but I find it fun to overcome such problems and maybe help overcome one or two of the upcoming problems.

Although it probably depends on which packages / hardware you're running.

Just some positive feedback to keep moral up......

Cya lX.

Ps: not running vi (Emacs rulez, ;-) ) but I've run gnome-2.0.2 and i'm now running gnome-2.1.?
smileypete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, I understand where your coming from, but....

boring would be a welcome change, all i wanna do is check my mail, use stuff like vim and a word processor without the machine buggering out on me....

If I want a challenge, I'll go climb a mountain.

And a missing package dependancy has nothing to do with a compiler flag. I did an emerge rsync immediatly before starting on each of my escapades. It seems like anytime there are more than 15 packages in an upgrade path or install one of them is going to fail. It hasn't always been like this. My first 2 installs of gentoo went without much of a problem.

And I'll say it again, this has been the best linux distro I've used so far (barring compile time, but i'm patient ;)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange thing is that I didn't have major issue's running gentoo / things breaking (yet), well maybe I'am just lucky...

Well hope you fix it,....

Cya lX. :lol:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lots of things NOT working. Reply with quote

smileypete wrote:
is there a way for package maintainers to see what packages are dependant on theres?

There's Naan Yaar's Find packages that have a dependency on a specified package.

I hope that this thread continues to develop in as constructive a direction as possible, and doesn't just turn into a massive complainarama. Let's be part of the solution.
smileypete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have everything working.
Thanks for the answers.

I think I will go check the bug reports to see if these things are listed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: