mplayer starts second video window...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: mplayer starts second video window... Reply with quote

mplayer starts a second window showing the video i selected... plays fine.. but i cant intervene.... skip, pause... or anything... you know?
why doesnt it start in the window that is allready open...
why creating a new one saying:
.:Mplayer : F=Fullscreen /windowed :C = cycle screen res...
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i notice this too, but im a xiner, so it doesnt bother me. :-)
can you try to put fs=yes in your .mplayer/config to see if that helps?
i remember i didnt get the double window when mplayer started with fullscreenmode (anoying!). i havnt re emerged mplayer yet or else i would try it.
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Same problem here Reply with quote

I've noticed this as well. It's got to be an actual problem, because on my system at least, if I bring the running window up, hit "f" for fullscreen, it all locks up, and I have to ctrl-alt-escape and kill mplayer. My observation: the mplayer gui is so damaged anyway, I just run it from command line. I also made a menu entry for KDE called "play dvd" which just calls "mplayer -dvd 1"

You can use the keyboard to control mplayer without a gui, anyway.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for mplayer's video output :?: Try chaning to another and see if it persists.

Usually this will appear when using sdl as output.
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Yes, using SDL Reply with quote

Well that makes sense. Unfortunately, SDL is my only option for MPlayer, as I have a Crappy Videocard (tm).

Oh well.
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: mplayer and nvidia Reply with quote

I have noticed that mplayer doesn't work well in my computer which uses Geforce4 but works great in my brother's machine which uses ati radeon 7000. Anybody else having similar experiences?
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it with GeForce2 MX, and it's doing fine.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mksoft,
ive got a geforce2 also... im having the two window syndrome.
It used to work fine not too long ago.
what version of mplayer are you using?

0.90_pre8-r1 here.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa wrote:
hey mksoft,
ive got a geforce2 also... im having the two window syndrome.
It used to work fine not too long ago.
what version of mplayer are you using?

0.90_pre8-r1 here.

I have 0.90_pre9 installed, but it is not a version issue, since I had it in the past as well.

Make sure you have XVideo extension loaded. Check the output of xvinfo, and the output of xdpyinfo (it should contain XVideo in the list).

If it is loaded, try from a terminal to run:
Code:
mplayer -vo xv video_file_name

petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved mplayer(geforce) double screen problem by choosing preferences and disabling dri. But mplayer is still VERY unstable. for example everytime I quit I get the following errors:

Code:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: exit_player
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM. Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and disassembly. For details, see DOCS/bugreports.html section 5.b.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen. It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read DOCS/bugreports.html and follow instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you provide these informations when reporting a possible bug.
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/kde/3.1/lib/libartsflow.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev, version GLIBCPP_3.2

I don't know should I compile mplayer with --enable-debug since mplayer guys say that they aren't intrested if nvidia user has problems with their software. Well they don't say it straight but it their opinion about nvidia is pretty cold
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know what you mean about unstable. With me it is solid as a rock, and the only time I'm having problems is when I'm playing .rm or .mov files. And I know it sometimes crashes when I exit it, but why should one care about that?

After some testing, I've found that the -vo gl2 switch gives the most smooth output possible, -vo xv is very fast, but less smooth. SDL is out of the question, I'd rather use VESA. And I know a many people with different GeForce variants, all their cards are working perfectly with XVideo.

Dunno how the MGA-output is, but it is probably the same as -vo xv? :?:

And if you are having problems with not being able to seek, perhaps you could have it rebuild the index at runtime? (check the manpages)

--
Regards,
Helmers
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmers wrote:
I'd like to know what you mean about unstable. With me it is solid as a rock, and the only time

Well if I push play and pause for couple of times it crashes. I know that mplayer can be stable because in my brother's machine mplayer hasn't crashed even once. It was stable in my machine about a month ago dunno what version it was.
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, have you tried with less aggressive compiler flags? For instance dropping the -fomit-frame-pointer flag and going down to march=i686 -Os?

I've had very few problems running it on my system, an AthlonXP with -O9 :wink: -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mmmx -msse -m3dnow.

And I've compiled my whole gentoo system like that, have downloaded & compiled 3GB and have had NO problems except for the dev. GIMP version. :P (Which of course makes me a very happy Gentoo user)

--
Regards,
Helmers
checkyoulater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Other problems... Reply with quote

Something I have noticed with Mplayer is that it tends to stay in memory, even when you have closed the video window. When you emerge mplayer, it automatically adds a menu item in the Gnome menu. This item runs gmplayer, which is the gui version, I think.

Upon viewing and closing 5 different videos from the Gnome menu, I notice that
ps -aux | grep mplayer

will show 5 instances of mplayer running.

When I run the same 5 clips from the command line by typing
mplayer clip1.avi

I don't get the same problem.

My solution? Change the file association to run mplayer, and not gmplayer.
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmers wrote:
Well, have you tried with less aggressive compiler flags? For instance dropping the -fomit-frame-pointer flag and going down to march=i686 -Os?

I just tried with no luck at all :( (I had to edit the ebuild because mplayer auto detects the cpu settings during compilation and compiles it (In my case) using -march=athlon-xp)
helmers wrote:

I've had very few problems running it on my system, an AthlonXP with -O9 :wink: -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mmmx -msse -m3dnow.

I normally use athlon-xp -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer and my system works great too except this mplayer problem. I'm glad I can use xine as long I get my mplayer problem fixed :wink:
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're getting along with Xine. :wink:

And it didn't add it to the GNOME menu for me, but I've got it set up in Nautilus, and it don't launch the GUI, just the video window in fullscreen. I've never had any problems with it. Perhaps I'm just a darn lucky guy :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: