libsandbox move causes kernel panic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chardros
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: libsandbox move causes kernel panic Reply with quote

At the release of Gentoo 1.0 I decided to give it a go and have been extremely impressed. I installed it in VMware in orer to give it a test drive before converting any running systems over to it. There was one catch I ran into that's been buging me:

I initially installed everything into one partition (/). I normally wouldn' think of doing this, but it was just a test run. After getting the system up and running, I realized I wanted some more space to play around in so I did te following:

1) created another virtual drive
2) formatted it and copied the contents of /usr to it
3) edited /etc/fstab to have it moun the new partition as /usr
4) went to single user mode and rm -rf /usr

At this point, the system was completely broken, which I thought was strange since I've done this on other flavors of linux plenty. I thought it was no big deal and rebooted since I already updated fstab.

Upon a reboot, th system kernel paniced saying it could not load libsandbox.so or something to that affect. I booted to the gentoo cd, mounted my stuff, took a peak at the new /usr partition - and it was certainly there. So I copied libsandbox.so to it's full path on the root (/) partition and restarted the system.

The system came up fine and monuted the /usr partition over the /usr dir on the root partition and it's contents as expected. It seems as though /usr is not being mounted in time or something.

I see a few poblems here:
1) With my current configuration, the libsandbox.so will not be update on the root partition when upgradin, thus the older vesion will continue to be used at boot time.
2) If this library is critical to the boot of the system, should it not be located in /lib? (I could certainly be wrong)

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestios on this matter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: libsandbox? Reply with quote

libsandbox.so is used by portage; afaik it's not needed by the kernel, so I don't understand how you are getting a kernel panic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: