BIIIG Problem: multimedia screwed up thanks to unemerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: BIIIG Problem: multimedia screwed up thanks to unemerge Reply with quote

i emerged totem... it failed to work correctly -at all!
i emergeg mplayer--- was slightly better... no tone though
then i unemerged totem (before i unemerged mplayer)
and now i can't do nothing no more... no sound... xmms wont compile at all.... i guess it doesnt help that i had to do it the first time (when it worked) with -- nodeps.... but now ... the whole system is screwed up
we really need a dependancy check for emerge... that is the most gigantic downside of gentoo... (apart from that i loved it)
but now i am in quite some pain... everything else i could fight / fiddle through... now i am stuck

i appreciate any help
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread the same problem you were posting about here? I have locked the previous one in favor of this since this has a better description of the problem. Please let me know if they are in fact different problems.

Did either of the threads I linked (Using Gentoo CD to repair a broken system or Automatically unemerging stale packages [:-)]) help at all?

I'm sure that the development team is working hard to add these features to portage. If you want to get more information about dependancy checking and it's current status, you might want to browse the gentoo-dev mailing list archives.
Mr. Pointy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did u emerge (or unmerge?) with nodeps? And why nodeps?

There is dependancy checking when emerging packages, are you saying emerge needs dependancy checking when unemerging a package to remove depandancies installed at the time the package was first emerged? Might be nice, but I don't see how emerging and unmerging mplayer should screw up your system.

Maybe there is an obvious issue here I'm not seeing. What's the output when you try to emerge xmms?

Reading Tristam29's response again makes me wonder... Isn't when the output of, for example, emerge -p mplayer lists 15 programs to install an example of dependancy checking or am I being too naively literal and and apply my suppostions to something I don't know anything about?
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stales ain't the problem at all
here... i found 'emerge -u world' and
using freeamp instead of xmms (which seems to be popular but very buggy as an ebuild)
to be a working solution... took me quite a while...
the script kerframil wrote is nice... but not my problem right now.
yet it's splendid work!
is there any player out there that emerges without any
problems (so like freeamp? -it was wonderfull... it just... worked)
i know xine (totem) and mplayer seem to be the most
popular... but i am over that.
i just want one that works.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you now able to get sound working? What was the error message that emerge xmms was giving when it failed? How exactly did xine (totem) fail to work? Did it not compile or did it just not run correctly? The more information you can give the better we'll be able to help you. Perhaps you could file a bug report and the developers can look into fixing this for the future. What are your USE flags? They will affect dependancy checking by adding things that may not be necessary and could be the source of the problems.
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using freeamp now and it works like a charm.
xine compiled... but as far as i could see with quite a few warning messages... totem compiled with a lot of errors... and then i could not get the sound to work... or if.. the video didn#t feel like it.
to cut a long dragon's tail short.... i tried and probably are not yet good enough in gentoo.... (or linux at that) i need to learn C and i need to learn how to make ebuilds..... but unfortunatelly i am still in school and preparing for my final exams (abi) as we "speak". so.. not too much time... but i love gentoo ... and would hate to switch back to my ugly win2k just for word and acrobat reader... (i need to copy text and pictures out of pdf into word...)

so.... we.llll...... thats it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: