View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShALLaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice of them to kick me off the dev team to let someone else take my place without even consulting me.
trasixes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty damn lame alright. The Gentoo dev team screwed ShALLaX. I've been a Gentoo/Gentoox user for a long time, but I'll be dumping it shortly. I've followed this ongoing mess with the devs and ShALLaX, and I think the devs need to pull their heads out of coding, and grow up a bit. I'll move on to another distro, even Mandrake sounds less... lame.
eXOBeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShALLaX, I'd suggest switching allegiances after being dumped on like that.
They reckon they can do better? Fine. Take your obvious talents and put them to work on one of the other distributions (Red Hat, Slackware, SuSe, etc.). A Gentoo-beating Linux port will teach them a lesson.

If you can "magic" update Gentoox to the new Linux flavour-of-choice, even better, 'cos you're not shitting on your own users then.

Good luck in the exams!
Pedro-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest the Gentoo dev team re-evaluate the situation and reconsider the hard work and progress Shallax has put into Gentoox. He's been working on Gentoox for well over a year, and I think (thou my thoughts won't mean anything) that you're ditching a very good resource and a great person who has done a great job.

Ed: you of all people should know better than this. Not letting him do things his own way is one thing, but stealing his thunder is another.

Give him a chance, you can't blame his lack of recent contribution on his education. He's put alot of hard work into this, and he doesn't deserve it. He agreed to add xbox patches to portage after his exams, and initially the Gentoo team agreed, but they could wait till his exams were over.... thanks.

Anyway, enough of my babble. I think you're being very spiteful in ditching Shallax as a developer. Reconsider your actions, he's a definite asset.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trasixes wrote:
Wow, that's pretty damn lame alright. The Gentoo dev team screwed ShALLaX. I've been a Gentoo/Gentoox user for a long time, but I'll be dumping it shortly. I've followed this ongoing mess with the devs and ShALLaX, and I think the devs need to pull their heads out of coding, and grow up a bit. I'll move on to another distro, even Mandrake sounds less... lame.

Uhm. What does the dev team have to do with any of this? If you have an issue, I suggest you take it up with devrel, rather than randomly badmouthing the several hundred people that had absolutely nothing to do with this decision.
Boricacid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
trasixes wrote:

Uhm. What does the dev team have to do with any of this? If you have an issue, I suggest you take it up with devrel, rather than randomly badmouthing the several hundred people that had absolutely nothing to do with this decision.

Well, to me it is clear that traxises's comment was aimed at whoever in the dev team decided to kick Shallax out. And what's the matter with Shallax's inactivity according to the devs? If they look at his contribution of ebuilds, well Shallax claims he was *not allowed* to submit anything in there. That's why he built his 'magic' script. Also, I've constantly seen updates on the Gentoox webpage. Moreover, lets not forget that all this was a one-man-team effort. I think it's quite impressive as it is. Or was it that some devs didnt like Shallax and wanted to do the work themselves??
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boricacid wrote:
Shallax claims he was *not allowed* to submit anything in there. That's why he built his 'magic' script.

That said, it is very unlikely that magic like scripts would be allowed in mainstream gentoo, so why go that route?

Instead, creating a set of ebuilds, and putting them in an overlay, would have meant that incorporating them in gentoo would have been trivial.
mrniceguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
That said, it is very unlikely that magic like scripts would be allowed in mainstream gentoo, so why go that route?

Instead, creating a set of ebuilds, and putting them in an overlay, would have meant that incorporating them in gentoo would have been trivial.

Fair point, but that doesn't mean that the work should be wasted or unappreciated. The current situation even seems to be leaning towards pretending that what he's done hasn't happened, which is just silly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you because I know that's not what you were saying, but it's an important point.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boricacid wrote:
Well, to me it is clear that traxises's comment was aimed at whoever in the dev team decided to kick Shallax out. And what's the matter with Shallax's inactivity according to the devs?

Devrel are not the dev team. They're two entirely seperate entities. Please keep the complaints directed at the relevant entities, mkay? 99% (yes, literally) of the developers have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Quote:
Or was it that some devs didnt like Shallax and wanted to do the work themselves??

Uh, no. I've no idea where you're getting that idea from. We're not Debian...

/ offended by all the misdirected flaming
trasixes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
trasixes wrote:

My apologies, my comments are aimed at the unnamed few who choose to stifle the great work of ShALLaX, not the masses that contribute to Gentoo.
scovel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Well.... Reply with quote

Are you guys going to keep whining, or is someone actually going to write some code? I'm VERY tired of Xebian re-installs. I'd love some emerge loving for my Xbox!
ShALLaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh heh *Amused*... I have to side with ciaranm, though... you did make it look like it was every single dev's fault ;).

Scovel, youre more than welcome to try using gentoo (http://gentoox.shallax.com) and if that doesnt suit you.. well then youll just have to wait until the "official" Xbox release.
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just use the ebuilds that currently exist for the kernel, alsa and xfree, and install it using the normal stages for gentoo.

You can use your Xebian boot cd to get you access to the XBox disk, then chroot in, and away you go.

Works a treat here with 2.6.7, ext3 and alsa ;)
yoda@gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, i want to install gentoo on my modded xbox.
whats better ?
the official gentoo livecd for xbox <- or -> GentooX ??

regards
yoda@gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can boot from a LiveCD =) , respect gentoo ;-), you can eveything,

Does someone knows the CSS FLAGS for an Xbox ?

thx, regards :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: