<shrug> A good day to re-install I guess. :cry:

Oh well. Perhaps a good time to try Reiser4, udev, GCC 3.4.0 et al then? :P

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
ShadowHawkBV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udev yes, Reiser4 prolly not, and After reading the fun you had with GCC 3.4 a resounding ut uhh.. :lol:

Lost Linux Neophyte
Intel i7-1065G7
Intel i7-8565U
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955
Pure 64bit frustration :-)
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowHawkBV wrote:
udev yes, Reiser4 prolly not, and After reading the fun you had with GCC 3.4 a resounding ut uhh.. :lol:

Haha, some of us are a little more sadistic than others ;)

ShadowHawkBV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, this will let me start out right... best possible CFLAGS etc.

Thank you for all the assistance.

Lost Linux Neophyte
Intel i7-1065G7
Intel i7-8565U
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955
Pure 64bit frustration :-)
malmjako
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Gentoo 1.4 installed on my iMac, mainly from GRP, and just got a broadband internet connection, so I did an emerge -u world to bring my system up to date. However during a downgrade (don't know why) from glibc 2.3.4 to some lower version, emerge stopped working because libc.so.6 no longer can be found. When I reboot I get the following error some lines down in the startup process and everything stops:

Code:
/bin/bash: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by /bin/bash)

What can I do to recover my system? (I have a working Mandrake system on the same computer, so I can chroot into my Gentoo environment from that.)

/Jakob Malm
stalcair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has experienced this problem and found the solution, please don't be bashful. Post it here. I came across this problem a few days ago and have been trying pretty much what everyone else here has suggested. This problem seemed to start after I did the following two things. I added "nptl" to my use flags and re-emerged my glibc, then once that was done I performed an "emptytree" emerge of my world. (not my system however)

I have not yet tried reemerging my system, but am doubting now if that would help.

One other thing, I did recompile my kernel with no changes.

Assuming the machines CDROM stops acting up I can get back in with a LiveCD and try to get some hard facts. The only other problems I was experiencing on this box were unzip problems. Basically, unzip appeared to not "see" perfectly valid unzip files that were in the range of 2 - 3.5 Gigs. If this is somehow related, then I will post more info on that (whatever that might be)

very odd behavior, but at least for now I have time to troubleshoot it :)
Kamel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exact same problems here. i never compiled glibc with ~x86 afaik, but i did recompile it using emerge -u system.

what i *speculate* happened is that i did emerge sync and there was a bad portage build for glibc (possibly added to stable but not really? -- only speculation), and it downgraded glibc.

you should be able to do things (or can you?) to specify not to modify certain packages during an emerge world/system. i feel glibc should never be touched after the first compile unless you do it specifically and purposely.

anyway, my system has had the exact same symptoms as listed here. nearly everything says it needs glibc version 2.3.4 that isn't even out. i reboot only to find that i can't boot anymore, because "mount" needs glibc and i can't even think about getting into bash.

oh well, i am going to just totally ignore trying to fix it and start over saving my configuration files... i'm thinking about putting /etc /root and /home on seperate partitions incase this happens again, heh.

-- just reporting is all. i feel this is a major threat to well performing machines and something should be done immediately.
CaribbeanKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here, system totally borked after glibc downgrade... :(
and it's not very encouraging to read here that nobody has a solution and they're all gonna reinstall.... i'm soooo not in the mood for reinstalling right now....
but i'm trying to build all broken (yes, almost everything...) packages in a chroot environment and then i'm gonna emerge them as binary packages in my main system... at least that's what i hope could work... we'll see..
Linux User #353893
onegative
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same problem happenned to me yesterday. I'll try to explain what i did before it broke:

1- working system everything fine
2- ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome-2.6 (It all started here)
3- working system everything fine
4- emerge -u ssh (This compiled another version of glibc)
5- system complaining about glibc 2.3.4 not present

I talked to someone on #gentoo, here is what he told me:
Quote:

<kerframil> o-negative, if I were in your position I'd do something like this. (1) emerge -up world. (2) Populate your package.keywords so that things that want to downgrade are in there. (4) revdev-rebuild -p (5) observe the list then go from there

I am doing it right now, i don't know if any of this can help but i'll tell you when i'm done.

EDIT: doesn't change anything.

o-negative

My blog :twowordz.blogspot.com
onegative
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i figured out how to fix this.

Code:
cat /var/log/emerge.log | grep glibc

I checked what was my glibc version before my system had problems.

I had glibc-2.3.3-pre20040420 and my system was now using glibc-2.3.2-r9.

I just emerged 2.3.3-pre20040420 and added it to my package.keywords file to be sure it won't get downgraded.

Two things have caused this problem. First, I installed gnome 2.6 using accept keywords in my emerge command. Then I upgraded ssh using -u instead of -U. This caused my glibc to update with the latest x86 version since my system is x86. This version of glibc was inferior to the one i had installed with gnome. You should never downgrade glibc. :D

Hoping this helps,

o-negative

My blog :twowordz.blogspot.com

Last edited by onegative on Sun May 23, 2004 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must remember to bookmark this as "Why not to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" on the command line".
MikeP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, id rather say "why one should use emerges -p or -a options and check the output before doing the actual emerge" ;) i mostly still use accept keywords too, even though i started to add some stuff to package.keywords, but seriously, i can't be bothered to add thousands of dependencies to it :) besides i very often mix x86 and ~x86, and often i just do it when i feel like an ~x86 upgrade sounds nice... eg i read the package name and maybe also read the changelog, then maybe decide hm lets update that :)
if emerge -U really should disappear, then only after the package.keywords stuff has been improved to handle dependencies, we've discussed that in the other thread "emerge -U world - how often". And even when that's been done, i still think emerge -U should stay, a warning/discouragement about it in the docs should probably be enough...
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no, not really. -U should go as it's genuinely dangerous. This thread (and many other similar ones) are testament to that. As is allowing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to be used from the command-line. That should be restricted to make.conf and package.keywords.

MikeP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, would you remove rm -rf because it's dangerous? ;)
there situations where at least accept keywords on the command line is useful(if -U gets removed AFTER package.keywords can handle deps - thatd prolly be ok..) - lets assume you want to try an ~x86 package, have x86 in your make conf and will probably just unmerge the package after you've tried it? it'd be a waste of time to edit a file 2 times while you can do it without now. If you want to keep it you could add it to package.keywords later.
These threads prove it can be dangerous, yes - however that can all be said and warned about in the docs - and maybe even at runtime in the same fashion as it warns when you unmerge a package, a warning with a little counter that counts down... but even that maybe could be a bit annoying..

besides, people who absolutely don't want anything to break shouldn't use ~x86 at all...
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times when a ~x86 package causes less breakage than an x86 one - usually due to hardware issues.

rm -rf is not something I would call "dangerous." rm -rf only causes damage when you do it deliberately. emerge -U causes damage when you accidentally miss the shift key. The number of people who've accidentally downgraded glibc, gcc, binutils, linux-headers or similar means that this flag really, really is far more trouble than it's worth.

I will be pushing heavily from its removal from portage-2.0.52.

MikeP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does portage 2.0.52 handle deps in packages.keywords?
i wanted to ask if we should file a feature request or if one already exists/if it is planned to andle deps.. i've still been too lazy though to check bugzilla...
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage-2.0.52 may or may not contain whatever anyone writes. If someone can be convinced to write it, then great. portage-2.0.51 isn't finished yet, so 2.0.52 is a long way off. But I know a guy who may be willing to do some of this stuff... :D

langthang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER 'USE="some_use_flags" emerge package'
Try this `USE="nptl" emerge glibc` and wait for the next glibc update blowup :twisted:

Last edited by langthang on Tue May 25, 2004 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just an evil sod :P

ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better: put USE="-pam" in make.conf, then run USE="pam" emerge shadow :twisted:
dmlb2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: I got it too Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the same libc.so.6

It really sucks cause I can't use grep or less right now
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still there? Thatt's possibly the single most important file on your root filesystem, so you wouldn't want it to vanish...

mattsk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: I have a solution. Reply with quote

Heyho.

I had this same problem when I attempted to downgrade glibc in a failed attempt to stop my system segfaulting with particular applications.

Anyway, I got up and running again and without a reinstall. Here's what I did. I apologise for it being a little flakey.

I got a copy of the latest (2004.2) full live CD from gentoo. I booted with this, and found some spare space on my system. I created a directory (which I called stage3) and untarred the stage3 tarball into it. I then changed into that directory as if I was going to do a new gentoo install there. - Note .../ signifies whatever path I had to the stage3 folder (i can't remember it now)

Code:
mount -t proc none .../stage3/proc
chroot .../stage3 /bin/bash
source /etc/profile

from there I just updated portage, and emerged the partciular glibc (glibc-2.3.4.20040808 in my case) and quit out of the chroot cage

Code:
emerge sync
emerge =glibc-2.3.4.20040808
exit

I copied all the libraries from /lib in the stage 3 folder that were relevant, to the actual /lib folder of my gentoo install (this meant having gentoo mounted ... I think I had it in /mnt/gentoo). Fortunately most of the libraries in there had 2.3.4 in their filename :) - all except libpthread and libthread_db

Code:
cp .../stage3/lib/{*2.3.4*,*pthread*.so,*thread_db*.so} /mnt/gentoo/lib

I also had to manually link all the symlinks to those files. As it happens I had already done that in my early attempts to get my system running (I had my initrd run bash for me, and I did the linking then ... it's very painful navigating your directory structure with naught but echo * to give you the contents of the current directory).

Code:
cd /mnt/gentoo/lib
rm ld-linux.so.2; ln -s ld-2.3.4.so ld-linux.so.2
rm libc.so.6; ln -s libc-2.3.4.so libc.so.6
etc

I just did a ls *2.3.4* to see what I had copied over, and went looking for other files with similar names (like libc or BrokenLocale etc) in there. I found the symlinks, and it was obvious which of the files they need to link to. libpthread and libthread_db were the only tricky ones - and that was only because they didnt have 2.3.4 in their filenames.

That was enough to get the system running again, but when I unmerged glibc-2.3.2 it erased a heap of the stuff I had just done, so I had to go and do it again.

The 2nd time, I had to copy EVERYTHING from the ebuild over (including all the locale data) ... I just had qpkg give me a list of everything in the package. The used a for loop to do the copying. I think 'install' might work as well. I'm not sure. qpkg is in the gentoolkit ebuild and will need to be emerged with glibc (above) for this step to be performed in the livecd environment. I did it in my actual system.

Code:
qpkg -l -nc glibc | grep -v ' ->' > glibc-contents
for file in `cat glibc-contents`; do
  if [ -d .../stage3/$file -a ! -d $file ] ; then
    mkdir $file
    continue
  fi

if [ -f .../stage3/$file -a ! -f $file ] ; then
    cp .../stage3/$file $file
  fi
done

that code may not work quite right ... but it's basically what I did. I had to cut out the symlinks to make it work right (that was the grep in the first line). Fortunately I didn't need to make those links. I'm not sure how I'd have managed it if I needed to however.

Well I hope this helps somebody. It's pretty much emergency surgery - but I found it preferable to a complete reinstall.
dstutz97
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might sash be a big help in situations like this?

man page for it here: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/sash.8.html

"The sash program is a stand-alone shell which is useful for recovering from certain types of system failures. In particular, it was created in order to cope with the problem of missing shared libraries or important executables."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: