Setting up email in Evolution using maildir format
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warlock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Setting up email in Evolution using maildir format Reply with quote

I'm having problems trying to read my mail with Evolution. I've installed fetchmail and procmail, and have set up ssmtp for sending mail. This all seems to work OK. Have been following this post for guidance https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1085. However, this guy uses mutt as an MUA, whereas I would rather use Evolution.

In Evolution, when I call up "Mail Settings", I try adding a new account, choosing Maildir-format mail directories. I simply point to ~/.maildir - a directory I created following the post's instructions. I've set up procmail as basically as I could, the contents of my rc.lists file are:
Code:
:0
* ^TO_.*.
IN-misc

I've sent a few emails to this email account, and when I run fetchmail, it seems to fetch them OK. However, nothing is being shown in my inbox in Evolution.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Xor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how have you created your maildir?

usually theres a cur, new and tmp dir inside...
warlock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Created maildir like this, simply because this was recommended in the post I read.

Code:
cd
mkdir .maildir
cd .maildir
mkdir new
mkdir cur
mkdir tmp

I have made some progress, though. Reading all the documentation more carefully, I've realised I missed the all important slash on the end of IN-misc. i.e.

Code:
:0
* ^TO_.*.
IN-misc/

I think it was putting new messages all in a single file, mbox-style. Starting afresh, something (procmail?) has created a IN-misc/ directory in .maildir, with the new/, cur/ and tmp/ sub-directories.

However, I still can't get Evolution to use this file as my default inbox. This seems silly to me, since this won't be used for anything, whilst I have a second inbox folder at the bottom of the tree, where my emails are popping up. I don't suppose anybody could tell me how to change this?

Thanks.
big_pig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, procmail did create those three new folders. Most MDA do this when they are delivering to a maildir style location and new, cur, and temp don't exist.

I would suggest two ways of attacking this... First, point Evolution to ~/.maildir/IN-misc. Or two, change your receipe to deliver to ~/.maildir and leave Evolution as is. Of hand I can't think of a way around this. I've found that Evolution follows the maildir format very closely. It only looks for mail in the new folder of the maildir path (i.e, ~/.whatever/new, not ~/.whatever/somefolder/...). I think other email programs might "play" a little more loose with the rules.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: