Apache Vhosts question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinobSS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Apache Vhosts question Reply with quote

Hiya,

I am on a pppoe DSL connection, with a router that handles NAT internal addressing for my network. Recently I built a dev box, and started working with Apache.

What I need to do is set up two different domains, shinobi.mine.nu, and kscbs.mine.nu on my IP that's updated with ddclient. I've read through the Apache docs, and I'm not sure if what I want to do is possible. I want to make shinobi.mine.nu the default webpage, but if someone types in kscbs.mine.nu, they will be directed to that page.

The way that I have it set up at the moment, kscbs.mine.nu is the name vhost, and I have the default server's directoryroot pointing to shinobi.mine.nu. What foils my plans however is this doc which (if I uderstand it correctly) says that Apache first checks the vhosts for the listening IP, and if it's not the right one, go to the default server.

Is there a possible workaround for this? I have been searching high and low for one, but havent been able to find one. I was under the impression that maybe the host request (ie: type in kscbs.mine.nu, and Apache takes you to the documentroot for kscbs) was what determined the page that comes up...

My though was that maybe I could make shinobi.mine.nu the nameVhost, but then noone would be able to access kscbs.mine.nu..

Here's a look at the NameVirtualHost I've defined for kscbs.mine.nu..hopefully it will help:

Code:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName kscbd.mine.nu
DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/kscbd
#ErrorLogs /home/kscbd/apache_log
</VirtualHost>

I just modified the Vhosts.conf file with the above.

Any help would be appreciated :D
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Apache Vhosts question Reply with quote

shinobSS wrote:
What foils my plans however is this doc which (if I uderstand it correctly) says that Apache first checks the vhosts for the listening IP, and if it's not the right one, go to the default server.

You lost me here. Could you go into a little more detail as to what is going wrong?

Quote:
I was under the impression that maybe the host request (ie: type in kscbs.mine.nu, and Apache takes you to the documentroot for kscbs) was what determined the page that comes up...

Yes, that's the way that name-based virtual hosts work. You have to add DNS A records for each of the aliases by which you want to refer to the server, and then it should work exactly as you describe here.

Quote:
My though was that maybe I could make shinobi.mine.nu the nameVhost, but then noone would be able to access kscbs.mine.nu..

I don't see why this matters - it should work either way.

Quote:
Here's a look at the NameVirtualHost I've defined for kscbs.mine.nu..hopefully it will help:

Nothing problematic jumps out at me.
shinobSS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..now I'm totally lost. The only thing that I see that I havent done is any kind of DNS...I thought dyndns.org was handling that..

Is there any way to set up an internal DNS? I imagine that would kill two birds with one stone, since to get to my pages, I have to put in the IP address or else the name wont resolve..

Thanks =)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinobSS wrote:
Is there any way to set up an internal DNS?

Sure. I use tinydns, aka djbdns, but you could use BIND if you prefer.
shinobSS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could beat myself over the head.

I dont know if this is the workaround, or maybe I just accidentally did it right, but I now have both domains up and running without issue (as far as I'm aware).

All I did was make another NameVhost for shinobi.mine.nu, pointing to the same documentroot as the default server...and it worked!

On top of that, it would seem that I'm doubly insured: if Apache doenst hand the address over to kscbs.mine.nu, or shinobi.mine.nu, it'll default to my shinobi.mine.nu frontpage.

Thanks for the help =)
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Apache Vhosts question Reply with quote

rac wrote:
?

Quote:
I was under the impression that maybe the host request (ie: type in kscbs.mine.nu, and Apache takes you to the documentroot for kscbs) was what determined the page that comes up...

Yes, that's the way that name-based virtual hosts work. You have to add DNS A records for each of the aliases by which you want to refer to the server, and then it should work exactly as you describe here.

Nothing problematic jumps out at me.

I have to disagree that you need DNS A records for every alias....just one entry with wildcard *.domain.com. should work and vhosts in apache does the rest.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: