View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: can't move windows in gnome/sawfish Reply with quote

I've configured something in Sawfish settings which caused a problem whereby I cannot move any windows. Attempting to move a window results in a beep sound.

Anyone know which setting causes this?
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that .sawfishrc must be 100% error free. If it beeps during sawfish startup then you got an error and the configurations in this file are not taken.

I also had this window moving problem, but in my case it had something to do with the merlin extensions. I do not need these extensions, therefore I removed all the "require merlin..." stuff in .sawfishrc.

But if your changes are faulty then you are the only one who knows what to change... :wink:
Da Masta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Actually, I think the config files are to blame... Reply with quote

I remember that I did not have this problem when logging in as root, only when logging in as a normal user. I looked at the /etc/skel.d dir, and indeed there are certain default .sawfish* files/dirs which are copied to user home dirs when they are created. Since I noticed my root dir didn't have them before I started Gnome for the first time, I simply removed all these sawfish files in my user dir and Gnome/Sawfish runs "fine". I also found that sawfish-merlin extensions seem to load for a brief second on my desktop before disappearing and I've go no clue why.

Anyway, that's just a way to get rid of the beeping, but perhaps is not a real solution. Can someone familiar with sawfish explain why this happens, and also perhaps some solutions to both the original window moving problem and the lack of pager-thingie? The .sawfishrc can be made pristine from /etc/skel.d if necessary, and the copies in those are untouched since my initial emerge of sawfish and friends.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: