Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help with firewall, apache, virtual hosts and such....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Help with firewall, apache, virtual hosts and such.... Reply with quote

I have a webserver. It works fine from the outside, and When I browse to localhost I can use it. BUT...When I type in the actual host name... nothing. So I put the resolution in my Hosts file. Now it works...kinda, but none of my virtual hosts work.... I think it is because hosts will just substitue a name for an ip, and then lose the header info that I need to use Vhosts (Right???)
SO... Is there anyway that I can work this.
Also It sure would be annoying to have to go to all the clients and change there hosts files.... So maybe bind???? Help.
Messiah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you should make sure that all hosts can find your server. That is by ip, and by name, otherwise apache can't help you. If they can not, fix that first. You could use any name server, so bind can help you, as can djbdns, and all other name servers.

Then, if you do want to use apache virtual hosts, I suggest you read some docs on virtual hosts. There are plenty on the apache website.

You should put this in your apache.conf of Vhosts.conf file (above your Virtual Hosts):
NameVirtualHost 111.222.33.44

substitute 111.222.33.44 with the ip of your server, and all names should point to that ip.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: