Update on how my install is going
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novasoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Update on how my install is going Reply with quote

I'm installing 2004.1 (vanilla sources, stage 3) on my Ultra 10. As you can tell, I'm a n00b at both linux and sparc, so I've found these boards a great resource -- not to mention the documentation. I'm very impressed by the responsiveness and friendliness of this community. It's refreshing to go to a linux community and not get dogpiled for asking newbie questions.

Anyway, now that I've stroked your egoes a bit, here's how things are going. At last, I have gotten my installation to come up. Getting out of Silo was a trick, but I played around with my silo.conf until it worked. Now I am having ye olde VFS kernel panic error after I leave the boot prompt. I've scanned the boards using several different search criteria and I have a bunch of ideas to try once I get home revolving around checking menuconfig and make.conf. If anyone has any other ideas for things I can check, let me know.

Thanks again for all your help. I see enlightenment at the end of the tunnel. Or maybe kwin. :D
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on how my install is going Reply with quote

novasoy wrote:
I'm installing 2004.1 (vanilla sources, stage 3) on my Ultra 10. As you can tell, I'm a n00b at both linux and sparc, so I've found these boards a great resource -- not to mention the documentation. I'm very impressed by the responsiveness and friendliness of this community. It's refreshing to go to a linux community and not get dogpiled for asking newbie questions.

Anyway, now that I've stroked your egoes a bit, here's how things are going. At last, I have gotten my installation to come up. Getting out of Silo was a trick, but I played around with my silo.conf until it worked. Now I am having ye olde VFS kernel panic error after I leave the boot prompt. I've scanned the boards using several different search criteria and I have a bunch of ideas to try once I get home revolving around checking menuconfig and make.conf. If anyone has any other ideas for things I can check, let me know.

Thanks again for all your help. I see enlightenment at the end of the tunnel. Or maybe kwin. :D

OK, here are some things that should help solve the "kernal panic(VFS): cannot mount root" problem. When I say "include support", I mean built into the kernel, not as a module (CONFIG_FOO=y not CONFIG_FOO=m).

- Did you include the support for your HDD in the kernel? (SCSI/IDE controller, a U10 is IDE with a CMD640 chip IIRC)
- Did you include support for your root filesystem type in the kernel?
- Did you pass the right root=<blah> paramater in silo.conf? Should be something like /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, or /dev/hda4 (since /dev/hda3 is supposed to be the sun "whole disk" partition)
novasoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll double check the IDE controller issue when I get home. I know for certain that I included the correct file system support in the kernel. I'm just using ext2 & 3. I'm also confident that I passed the correct root parameter in silo.conf. It must be something in the kernel. Thanks for your quick response.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: