Freezing xmms
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitarretyp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Freezing xmms Reply with quote

I have observed xmms freezing when trying play mp3s, changing or reloading a skin, and changing the spectrum analyzer settings. Also, when running xmms as a normal user from a terminal, i must do a ctrl-c to even have xmms come up --this doesn't occur as root. The problems occurs regardless of choosing oss or esd as the output. However, xmms plays cds but will not stop playing the cd even upon exiting xmms, and the spectrum analyzer doesn't display anything while the disc is playing.

The problem began when i uninstalled alsa. I have removed all references to libasound from my /usr/lib directory --which of course required unmerging and remerging many apps/libs.

All of my other multimedia related apps work fine, ie mplayer, grip, games.

To eliminate any uncertainty, i run fluxbox for a wm and do not use esd or arts.

Any thoughts?
gitarretyp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention a few important things...I did of course remove alsa from my use vars...and i should have been a little more clear about when the problems began...I updated several packages over the weekend. Most notably and the only one i see as possible being related, was xfree-4.2.1. Now, monday was when i removed alsa...which was the next time i tried to use xmms...so, the problem may not be directly related to alsa...
n8wood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past few builds of XMMS have been problematic for me as well.

I was getting lockups when I clicked the "Remove All" button in the Playlist window, and now I'm gettng random lockups during playback. I am using Alsa and I have the same problems as logged in as root. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the SMB mount I use to play all my mp3's.
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have problems with xmms (in combination with alsa), it even freezes my entire system when I pause a song :-(.

edit: (Original post is here)

~Progster
gitarretyp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm....not sounding so good....this is the first serious problem i've had with xmms. I've tried building it from source from xmms.org rather than using the ebuild to no avail...
gitarretyp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that the problems have been fixed...it just required that i remerge xfree followed by glib(c) and remove my old .xmms dir. Now everything runs as smoothly as ever.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: