TSM for SPARC Linux?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanfaedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: TSM for SPARC Linux? Reply with quote

Has anyone found a way to run IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager client on Sparc Gentoo? I see the folks over in x86 land have no problem...but to the best of my knowledge there just arent binaries or source code to be had.

I'd love it if someone could tell me there are some and where to find them but I'm not holding my breath. :)
hardave
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'll ever see it working. Tivoli/IBM like most vendors only believes Linux runs on hardware that they provide, although that is better than a certain sparc vendor that will remain nameless.

Your best bet for network backups would probablly be amanda. If you want to use the tapes on your TSM server you should then be able to get your amanda box to backup to TSM, if it's the right architecture of course.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... Actually... TSM *will* run on Linux on Sparc boxes... You should try prodding a sales droid, IBM have at least an internal Linux/Sparc (admittedly SuSE) port for the client...
lanfaedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Hrm... Actually... TSM *will* run on Linux on Sparc boxes... You should try prodding a sales droid, IBM have at least an internal Linux/Sparc (admittedly SuSE) port for the client...

Wow thanks for this info...I've been through phone hell with IBM with everyone telling me there was no such thing...I ended up putting in a request for functionality that will get forwarded to the developers...if there's a port already out there maybe they'll just point me that way.

(I hope.)
lanfaedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the resolution to the TSM for Sparc Linux problem as far as IBM is concerned, for anyone who finds this thread later:

THEM: "There are no plans to build TSM client on Sparc Linux."
ME: "I have on good authority that it's already been built - I just want a copy of the binaries please."
THEM: "I'll check."
THEM: "There are no plans to build TSM client on Sparc Linux."

I suppose I should have known that this would be the way of it when dealing with marketers and salespeople, but I really /had/ hoped for better. :x
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: