Status of Alpha Port
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Status of Alpha Port Reply with quote

Hi,

what's the status of the Alpha port for gentoo? Is it still active?

Also, if I start with the 1.4 stage1 and go through the build process, will I end up with the everything current, in the same way as going from 2004.1 if there was one?

Cheers,
Jonathan.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Status of Alpha Port Reply with quote

jono338 wrote:

Also, if I start with the 1.4 stage1 and go through the build process, will I end up with the everything current, in the same way as going from 2004.1 if there was one?

The Gentoo FAQ answers this question, specifically:

Quote:
In fact there is no difference between the various releases after they have been installed. (emphasis theirs).

As for the status of the Alpha port, I have no clue.
airbatica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Port is alive as far as I can tell. I can't speak for the devs obviously, but we can always use more users testing (breaking?) stuff and filing bug reports. :D
hpux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, even though the Alpha port is alive it wouldn't seem so from the installation files that are available. :( I've been trying to get gentoo on a really cool multia for a while... But I will persevere... I got it to emerge sync today and that is a huge step forward... kinda sad... oh well...

I've been doing alot of gentoo on alternative architectures.. HPPA, SUN4, and now Alpha. HPPA was by far the easiest. I gave up on the sun and the Alpha will work, I think but it is a challenge for sure...

Wow, that was rambling....
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alpha port is alive and kicking if somewhat understaffed atm. I'm hoping that we will get a 2004.2 release but for now the newest release is the 2004.0 livecd and stages in experimental.

Please keep filing bugs - being a small team sometimes makes it a bit hard to keep up with everything :wink:
AS2100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Alpha Alive? Reply with quote

I can only say that the 2004.0 and experimental stages work ok for me. The biggest hurdles were a blank /dev , and partitioning correctly for aboot. I am currently runnng Gentoo on an AlphaServer 2100 4/275 (4 processor SMP 512MB RAM) a DEC PWS 600au with 256MB RAM and an AlphaServer 1000 4/266 with 256MB RAM. All run well and were no great trial to get installed. Other then the above mentioned issues only the CFLAGS were troublesome at first.

Matthew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: