Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What desktop managers do you reccomend? I currently use KDE.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: What desktop managers do you reccomend? I currently use KDE. Reply with quote

Looking for something small, fast, good looking, less mem demanding.
I know of fluxbox, blackbox, gnome, KDE, sawfish, can't think of any others. Anyways, which one should I go with. Preferably not one that takes 3hours to emerge :D Needs to have good working environment right out of the box too but able to be configured and fine tuned later. Thanx.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: WindowMaker Reply with quote

WindowMaker is a pretty nice, themeable, fast window manger. Sorta the all-icon approach - looks good with themes, especially pretty backgrounds.

For my money, there's nothing better than KDE, bloat/mem leak or no.
Pablo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Check out xfce Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of XFCE. It's really fast, it's lightweight and it does everything I need without any of the bloated extra features that look nice but never get used.

Give it a try!
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Window Managers Reply with quote

Waimea is an up and coming window manager, it is based on the blackbox code, but with anti aliased window decorations (ooooh!), full transparency/transluceny decorations with dock support. It no longer has the blackbox style status bar, but this is hardly noticed.

The only issue I have with waimea is its inconfigurability (wow, i got that out this late?)

It uses multiple desktops, and i have yet to find a way to disable the ability to allow the mouse to "skip" through to the next desktop.

Check it out http://waimea.sourceforge.net.
pablored
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waimea could do with a better pager though, and one thing I noticed is that CPU usage when moving windows is pretty high. It did not matter that I had changed from opaque to outline... cpu could reach as high as 100% on my 1ghz + cpu (if i did some mad shaking of the mouse :) ). Maybe the next release will sort it out, or could just be the price of transparancy and snazzy fonts. It can be made to look VERY nice, with some tweaking of the config files.... not very hard if you have delved into blackbox styles.

I'm currently using PWM, with the Beos theme. Very nice and very usable. Smaller than the blackbox type wms, has tabs, can setup the mouse to scroll between desktops. The best bit is you can do just about everything with the keyboard.

A tiny download and also the desktop of gentoo's Daniel Robbins!
pablored
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah.. i was a little hasty.

The new 3.1 has been released already and resolves the 'moving windows takes lots of cpu' issue. Now down at 25%.

Just have to be sure to use Esetroot inorder to get transparancy in the new version.
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: