Intermittently failing for "Bringing up Eth0"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Intermittently failing for "Bringing up Eth0" Reply with quote

I have a SMC Barricade wireless router (SMC7004AWBR) that acts as a firewall and dhcp "server"

Sometimes my Eth0 comes up faster than you can say snot ("snot") and sometimes it hangs. The hang is usually a good 20-30 secs and it either comes up or fails... depending on if it's a second tuesday of leap year on a day ending in the letter "y".

Totally intermittent.

Any clues?

I would run my box as primary gateway, firewall, etc, but that's a hassle to set up in that "W" OS, which my wife demands (for now.... muahshahahaaaa.... "oh, honey, I'm sorry I accidently deleted that partition... luckily, I've converted and saved all your files in linux....")

Plus, seems like everything put between me and the net for now is good, until I really learn my security issues.

Thanks in advance!
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittently failing for "Bringing up Eth0" Reply with quote

kermitjunior wrote:
Plus, seems like everything put between me and the net for now is good, until I really learn my security issues.
I really want an often hacked, poorly fixed piece of software between my system and the internet too! :D just kidding

I doubt it is the same, but I have an SMC card that has had minor problems with coming up. Until recently, 'sometimes' the card wouldn't UP, but a reboot would fix it. This didn't happen enough to make me look into it though.

FWIW:
cat /proc/pci wrote:
Ethernet controller: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] 83C170QF (rev 6).

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: