No sound with ALSA even when unmuted on ThinkPad X22
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: No sound with ALSA even when unmuted on ThinkPad X22 Reply with quote

Well, can't find exactly this issue anywhere in the forums, or in Google, though I've tried bits and pieces that looked like they might be applicable. Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a fresh build of Gentoo on an IBM ThinkPad X22 (intel8x0 sound card, ac97-based). Kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r9, sound support is compiled into the kernel as a module. I've merged alsa-driver-0.9.0_rc2, and configured according to the Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide, including running update-modules. alsasound has been added to the boot runlevel.

All the modules seem to be loaded correctly:

Code:
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
snd-intel8x0
snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec
snd-mpu401-uart
snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device
snd
sound
soundcore

(That's a complete list - no other modules are loaded in the system.)

I've used amixer to unmute the sound, and alsactl to make sure the state is saved.

aplay cheerfully reports that the WAV file it's playing is 'Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono'. But no sound comes out. I know the speakers are good in the system, as system beeps at the console are perfectly audible.

Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
acwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Alsa on Thinkpads Reply with quote

I'm getting exactly the same behaviour on a Thinkpad 600, which is running a CS4327B sound chip, and thus different drivers. The behaviour is identical, though. Everything about the system says that it is playing the sound, except there is nothing audible. All of the mixer programs available claim that the sound should be there. The sound DOES work under Win2K, so the sound card is alive...
Pozac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... are you in the audio group?
acwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: audio group Reply with quote

If I wasn't in the audio group, I would be showing a lot more symptoms
than just no sound. There would be a lot various errors, too.
This one has me stumped, quite frankly. I can find no evidence on the computer that it isn't working perfectly.
acwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: I have mine working now Reply with quote

I don't really know what I did, though. I re-compiled the kernel and re-emerged elsa-driver and alsa-oss, but I've done that before with no effect.
The one thing I did different is I changed the kernel config for sound: CONFIG_SOUND from Y to M. Everything else was already set up as a Module, but this seems to have made the difference.
The only problem I get now is a failure loading modules for snd-card-1 and higher, but seeing as I don't have those, I'm not to concerned...
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I have mine working now Reply with quote

acwest wrote:
I don't really know what I did, though. I re-compiled the kernel and re-emerged elsa-driver and alsa-oss, but I've done that before with no effect.
The one thing I did different is I changed the kernel config for sound: CONFIG_SOUND from Y to M. Everything else was already set up as a Module, but this seems to have made the difference.
The only problem I get now is a failure loading modules for snd-card-1 and higher, but seeing as I don't have those, I'm not to concerned...

I have the same problem (onboard audio on an ECS KS5A mainboard) with the same driver.
What is giving the snd-card-1... errors?
acwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to suspect that they aren't really errors. It's seems like something is probing for any extra cards and not finding them. It is a little odd, because there is a parameter for the number of cards, which I am setting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: